Author Topic: Engine Cadmium List  (Read 5184 times)

StevenF

• Silver
  • USA, NY, Merrick
Engine Cadmium List
« on: October 21, 2016, 14:03:38 »
Does anyone have a list of the parts that should be cadmium plated on a w113 engine 1971?
1971 280sl
Red Metallic
Bamboo MB Tex

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
Re: Engine Cadmium List
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 22:29:20 »
This has come up a few times.  As far as I know there is no "list" per se.  Here are a few pictures and I would start searching for 1971 280SL's for sale.  Here are a couple to get you going.

I think the only silver plated (Cad type 1) are the straps that hold the coolant bottle,  the strap that holds the power steering reservoir, the oil filler cap and maybe the strap that holds the ignition coil?

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 22:37:40 »
This photo is from Pete Lesler, of an original car; factory photo I think.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 04:08:08 »
It would appear that all clamps are silver regardless of where they are used.
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2016, 04:29:59 »
As an FYI, the photo posted by Michael is from the 280 SL promotional brochure (the first one for the 280 SL). It was dropped in the later brochures. It is an excellent reference item, but it is from an early car.

I don't believe any of the under hood clamps were yellow CAD, they were all silver.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2016, 11:14:22 »
Sorry for the confusion.  I wasn't referencing the hose clamps in my post as I assumed they would just be changed.  I was only referring to the clamps on the coolant bottle mounting and power steering pump and oil fill cap as they usually get tossed in with the yellow cad.  The head shield that bolts to the firewall just aft of the exhaust pipes is the only other Type 1 cad(silver) I can think of.

As long as we are this far down this road I am wondering if anyone knows if the brackets that hold the positive battery cable as it snakes around the front of the oil pan are supposed to be painted black?  They are black in the black and white photo and mine appear to be painted black with no plating but almost every high end restoration I see has them in yellow cad.  As it stands right now mine are getting painted black.

DaveB

• Gold
  • Australia, Western Australia, Lathlain
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2016, 12:40:31 »
the brackets that hold the positive battery cable

I bought some new ones from MB and they came painted black
DaveB
'65 US 230sl 4-speed, DB190

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2016, 13:43:26 »
Thanks Dave!  Even if they were originally black which I suspect they were not it is now OK to paint them black since the judging standard is as delivered or as supplied by Mercedes currently.  There are parts that were originally yellow cad that are now supplied in black like the straps that retain the fuel lines under the car and there are parts that were supplied in black oxide like the brake caliper bolts that are now supplied in zinc plating.

As far as I know there are three bolts under the hood that are black oxide.  The shoulder bolt that act like a pivot for the alternator adjuster,  the big bolt on the end of the crankshaft and the eccentric pivot bolt that attaches the brake booster linkage to the pedal assembly.  Every other bolt, nut and screw should be yellow oxide.

Another interesting detail is that the water jacket covers and screws that are on the intake side of the block appear to get painted black with the block.

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2016, 14:21:29 »
Even if they were originally black which I suspect they were not

I would guess many OEM parts direct from MB are supplied in different finishes than new. I know that I had my original, as delivered automatic transmission filler tube in the original cadmium plate with gold wash. When restored, it was re-plated in the more common but incorrect zinc with gold wash. When transmission work was done, the mechanic forgot to double wrench it at the lower fitting, and twisted and cracked the line. The OEM replacement I got from MB was painted black. Before installing, I partnered with Tom Rose here and we had that cadmium plated with gold wash for the proper look.

During my restoration the original coolant overflow clamps were inadvertently plated and the gold wash put on them. Rather than re-plate them properly, I opted for the silvery finish new ones from MB which a few years ago were an astounding USD $4.95. each.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

49er

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2016, 15:53:33 »
 I agree with what others have said, coolant overflow tank, power steering and coil straps, were cad plated. Can't help you with the battery clamps. I know they are there but would have to climb under the car to see them and it is a bit chilly on that concrete floor for this old body this morning:-)
 I am sure you have seen this picture of my engine taken a few months after delivery but thought I would post again anyway.

John
1969 280SL 003820
Un Restored, All Original, including the paint
Original Owner, Purchased September 18, 1968
4 speed manual, PS. 77217 miles
7280 miles since awoken from her 20+ yr "nap" in 2010

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2016, 16:06:25 »
I have seen it John but it makes me smile every time I do.  I am going to try and Photograph a 1970 280SL that is supposed to be a 50,000 mile original.

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2016, 20:14:50 »
The finish on current MB parts could easily be different from the original and proves nothing about what the original finish was. Usually it is more misleading.

I remember a few years ago there was a lengthy discussion about the battery cable brackets. My W111 brackets were in bad shape but I believe what was left of the rubber grommet was originally molded directly onto the bracket. Later replacements do now have a separate rubber grommet and also why the bracket is plated.

If the rubber was molded directly, the bracket would need to be bare steel for the rubber to metal bond to work. That may explain why they were painted after molding and not plated. My brackets were rusty while the rest of the plated parts were in OK shape. That leads me to believe the brackets were just painted and not plated.   
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe
'70 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6