Author Topic: Members with an aol.com e-mail address  (Read 10305 times)

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
Members with an aol.com e-mail address
« on: October 03, 2016, 20:51:09 »
sl113.org e-mail being blocked by your mail provider

Dear member,

your e-mail from sl113.org is being blocked by your e-mail provider, despite numerous attempts from our side to fix this.
Please provide us with an alternative e-mail address if you have one. You can update your e-mail address in your profile.
Otherwise you will miss:

• notices of Personal Messages
  • announcements of Pagoda Notes
  • and renewal reminders

Please log in to the site, go to Profile, and change your e-mail address. You will receive an email to confirm your new address, to which you will need to reply. Please enter your new e-mail address carefully to prevent losing access.

If you, as a member, are PMíng with someone who does not appear to reply (or only very slowly), please point them to this post!

The message you missed is: http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=25034.0

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
Re: Members with an aol.com e-mail address
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 17:55:11 »
On an unrelated note, I have read that those of you who in a job search should ditch your yahoo and aol email addresses as they make you seem like an old geezer and make you less employable. 
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 08:13:28 »
haha...

I have a yahoo account (and a secret useraccount on this site) I use to test functionality, mailshots etc. But then again, I am an unemployable old geezer!
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 20:10:57 »
Hahaha Peter, I don’t and can’t agree with the “unemployable old geezer” statement :)

Dieter
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

wjsvb

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • USA, VA, Virginia Beach
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 02:55:42 »
Scott:  I was thinking of losing my yahoo account, but now I'm going to keep using it.  Last dern thing I want to do is go back to work.  Jon
jon

67 250SL early
12 Jeep GC (gone but not missed)
69 300SEL 6.3 Euro project (gone but not forgotten)
81 280SL Euro 4spd

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 03:25:15 »
Scott:  I was thinking of losing my yahoo account, but now I'm going to keep using it.  Last dern thing I want to do is go back to work.  Jon

I don't know how you can stand the advertising that shows up in their mail client.  Ug.  When I have to help my sister with her email it's frustrating...
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 19:44:24 »

I don't know how you can stand the advertising that shows up in their mail client.  Ug.  When I have to help my sister with her email it's frustrating...

Scott, why don't you get your sister OFF of "webmail" (accessing email by going to yahoo.com, aol.com or whatever) and get her a REAL mail program? If you don't like Microsoft and Outlook (I understand, but all complaints notwithstanding it IS the defacto standard for business in the USA) there is always the well-respected independent Thunderbird email client. https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/ It's free; it's open source; and is available for both PC and Mac. Personally I've always found "webmail" from everyone to be annoying.

As for this thread and AOL, I don't have any issues with getting email from anyone through the system, reminders, etc. It's all coming through to my @aol.com email address.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 20:06:16 »
Sure Michael, you might get the mail.

However, aol.com is sending me abuse complaints, and telling me you did not receive your mail. I've changed the sender mail address in the quote below. AOL changed the received mail address.

Note: it's complaining because the display name and the sender name do not match. It's because of the way the forum software sends e-mails when people send other people an e-mail instead of a PM. I've since disabled this facility to prevent us from getting even more on the wrong side of AOL.

Just for those interested: our mail system has all the DKIM, +SPF records and DMARC checks that modern mail senders need. Took me hours to figure out and install. I learn every day.  8)

This is an email abuse report for an email message with the message-id of 20171110013018.56B395FBFE@mail.sl113.org received from IP address 207.244.97.132 on Thu,  9 Nov 2017 20:30:21 -0500 (EST)

For information, please review the top portion of the following page:
http://postmaster.aol.com/Postmaster.FeedbackLoop.php

For information about AOL E-mail guidelines, please see
http://postmaster.aol.com/Postmaster.Guidelines.php

If you would like to cancel or change the configuration for your FBL please use the tool located at:
http://postmaster.aol.com/SupportRequest.FBL.php

Subject:
Date: 10 november 2017 02:30:18 CET
To: redacted@aol.com
Reply-To: <rhays@xxxxxxxx.com>

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2017, 20:52:31 »
Scott, why don't you get your sister OFF of "webmail" (accessing email by going to yahoo.com, aol.com or whatever) and get her a REAL mail program? If you don't like Microsoft and Outlook (I understand, but all complaints notwithstanding it IS the defacto standard for business in the USA) ...
My sister is the most non-technical person I know.  I _might_ be able to get her to move to gmail, which to me has none of the bad stuff of Yahoo.  Personally, I find it convenient to have all of my email everywhere I am, which I don't think I can do with Thunderbird (Plus I don't want to screw with Thunderbird).   I have my gmail and Enterprise Outlook integrated nicely with my phone and my multiple calendars from gmail and outlook display nicely on one page on my phone.  Works great for me.

Yahoo and AOL are so echhhh.
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2017, 17:46:53 »
Sure Michael, you might get the mail.

Peter, I'll change my email back to my old email address; but that one does NOT support IMAP protocols--just POP, and merely downloads to my office computer. Once it is there I can't see it anywhere else. The AOL supports IMAP, and that's why I went to use it. It's also from an ISP I no longer use so they have every right to terminate it at any time, and provide no support to me.

Turnabout is fair play I suppose; I've actually sent some email from my "new" @aol.com address and every now and then get a bounce back message saying the email server I've sent to doesn't accept any email from an AOL domain! These are not common but they do happen. I guess it's because AOL let any idiot get an email address, and many bulk email spammers chose AOL thus in some places they are banned. So, it's kind of funny that they don't want email from the way the forum sends it.

I appreciate the effort you go through to make all this work and can only assume these are moving targets that once fixed, need changing as soon as you catch your breath.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

GP

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2018, 17:00:16 »
I am an old gizzer at 80. How does an 80 year old get a copy of the By-Laws

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2018, 17:25:42 »
Hello G
From one 80 year old gizzer to another :) here is help ....

Go here you will find it all ----> https://www.sl113.org/wiki/Main/HomePage

Under the Heading Pagoda SL Group Information

Select the first option "About the Pagoda SL Group"

Best,

Dieter

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2018, 17:32:35 »
I don't think either of you are Geezers.  Perhaps just more wise.
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2018, 17:42:06 »
Thanks Scott for the kind words, I do feel like one first thing in the morning ... thank Good later in the day it feels like 55 ... :) then of course in the summer time taking the Pagoda for a spin we feel young at heart :)

Dieter

sandcrab59

• Silver
  • USA, MA, Lunenburg
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2018, 20:18:16 »
Hey, Dieter and GP.
Very shortly, like 9 months, I will be an old geeser.
Maybe we should start a group within a group for old geesers.
Tom
71 280SL-8  Euro
67 250 SL
72 220 D
1982 300 SD
1983 300SD
1985 300SD
1931 Model A Ford Roadster
1997 Corvette C5

mbzse

• Platinum
  • Sweden, Stockholm, Stockholm
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2018, 21:47:42 »
Quote from: wjsvb
I was thinking of losing my yahoo account, but now I'm going to keep using it.  Last dern thing I want to do is go back to work.  /Jon
Jon, I'll second that  :)  Yahoo it is!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 23:35:06 by mbzse »
/Hans S