Author Topic: "Royal Pains" Season 2, Episode 6: In Vino Veritas  (Read 3764 times)

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
"Royal Pains" Season 2, Episode 6: In Vino Veritas
« on: September 07, 2016, 14:27:28 »
Royal Pains is a USA network dramedy now available in its entirety on Netflix streaming.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Pains

In season 2, episode 6 which first aired in July 2010, character Eddie Lawson (played by Henry Winkler) is seen driving up to a restaurant in "The Hamptons" on Long Island, New York in a brown 280 SL. Sure looks like Peter Menger's car but I couldn't find any mention of this anywhere using the search box. Surely if it is his, he mentioned it before but I just don't remember. I don't think it is his front license plate either.

"The Hamptons" is a stretch of upscale towns on the south shore of Long Island New York, stretching from West Hampton to East Hampton, and is the summer home of many wealthy folks who don't otherwise summer on Martha's Vineyard or similar. Though set in "The Hamptons", the actual filming locations are reported to be the other south shore towns of Atlantic Beach and Long Beach NY, much closer-in to New York City.

Interestingly, another filming location is "Oheka Castle" in Huntington, NY.  http://www.oheka.com This is reported to be the second largest private home ever built in the USA behind the Biltmore in Asheville, NC. I found this quite interesting as this castle is precisely 3.4 miles and 10 minutes from where I grew up and spent my childhood--and I'd never heard of it! From a demographic standpoint it was a million miles away! And, I paid attention to such information too: in 1971, another north shore castle was being demolished in Halesite, NY and I rode my bicycle there to see what remained of the ruins. That place had frescoes and it was a shame to see its demise; it's probably condos today. Further to my dismay, even though I moved away from the area in 1972, I've been on the main roads that surround Oheka Castle regularly since that time, and never saw or heard anything about it. Today I understand it's a wedding venue for celebrities and dignitaries, and upscale hotel with the rack rate of $500/night during the week. My father, who lived in our home from 1954-1972 also has never heard of this place. I guess the owners wanted their privacy and to be "off the grid"!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 15:13:07 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

peterm

Re: "Royal Pains" Season 2, Episode 6: In Vino Veritas
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 15:21:22 »
Not mine Mike-  I have dark red not tobacco.  It will be in and episode of "Gotham" as part of Brice Wayne's garage next season.

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: "Royal Pains" Season 2, Episode 6: In Vino Veritas
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 14:51:54 »
...and as I progress through this season, I see that this 280SL has appeared in two more episodes to date...
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid