Author Topic: emission standards' verification about a pagoda in San Francisco?  (Read 4142 times)

Manofthetaste

Hi,

I'm about registering my shipped European SL280 1971 in California.

Today I received a letter from DMV. They ask me to collect verification or a letter from Mercedes manufacturer about meeting the request of US and California emission standards.

Do you know where to arrange this?

Thanks,
Br,
Bálint

rjmarco

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Alamo
Re: emission standards' verification about a pagoda in San Francisco?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 00:46:05 »
Hi, Bálint. 

I live in CA and have researched this process two times.  Your car should be exempt from smog certification based on age.  I believe 1975 and older cars are exempt.  Same should apply on safety equipment.  I recommend that you call the special processing unit at the DMV in Sacramento at this direct number:  (916) 657-8035.  You can get staff to answer the phone and they are most knowledgeable on these type of questions.  I have used them for my 1965 230 SL that was acquired out of state and also a 1987 BMW that I imported from Canada. 

Good luck!

Rich
Rich
Alamo, CA

Manofthetaste

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 00:47:56 »
many thanks Rich

I will call them on Monday. It is funny that they do not know it. why they send me such letters?

Br,
Bálint

Manofthetaste

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 17:26:52 »
Hi Rich,

I just called them and the only they told me is to have a letter from MERCEDES regarding to my car meeting US Emission standards.

Do you know where to contact MERCEDES about this?
Br,
Bálint

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 17:54:24 »
If your car has a VIN plate or emission plate that states compliance with emission controls then you do not need a letter.
See photos of these plates here: http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=8638
If it doesn't  contact the Classic Center in Irvine and ask for help.
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

rjmarco

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Alamo
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 17:58:42 »
Sorry that this didn't work.  I tried getting a vehicle verification letter from BMW USA for my 1987 M6 when I brought it in from Canada.  They first said they would write one for me but then balked since they cut off doing so after certain model years.  In the end, I didn't need it since the Canadian models were built to US specs with supporting stickers implying so inside the engine compartment. 

You might try MBZ USA directly.  I doubt that local dealers would be willing to help on something like this.

Another idea is to call or e-mail the Mercedes Classics Center for assistance.

Regards,

Rich
Rich
Alamo, CA

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 20:30:56 »
I believe that some of the information posted by others is not correct.

While it is true that you don't need a smog certificate for a 1971 280SL, it is not true that you can just ship one from Europe and expect it to be able to be registered in California.  Both DOT and CARB could want something.   This is only complicated by the assumption that your 1971 280 SL is NOT the same as a US-spec 280 SL.  I have a Euro 280 SE that went through extensive modifications before it was imported 25+ years ago.  And even then it wasn't to a state as picky as California is about these things...

Things that might be different:  cam shaft, smog pump, timing, injection pump settings....

Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2016, 20:33:14 »
If your car has a VIN plate or emission plate that states compliance with emission controls then you do not need a letter.
A grey market car is not going to have that emission plate.  That's the whole point of this discussion.
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

Tyler S

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Encinitas
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2016, 17:20:39 »
That part of the registration compliance (smog) is gverned by "CARB " (Calfornia Air Resources Board). You may want to call them directly to request a waiver for DMV purposes. They may or may not want to see the car.
1968 (67) 250sl. 4 speed manual. DB180 Silver
1955 220 Cabriolet A. White Grey
2019 E450 Wagon. Majestic Blue
1936 Ford PU Flathead V8. Creme on tan interior.
1989 Volkswagen T3 Westfailia Campmobile. Dove Grey (blue)

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2016, 18:30:04 »
Basically I think the car owner is screwed.  You _still_ need CARB compliance on a 1968 and newer car, and I don't think you are going to get that unless either   a) manufacturer says that a Euro car is same as a US car for that year, which I believe to not be the case   or    b) you go through very expensive CARB certification.

FWIW it makes no difference if the car was previously titled in another state.

You can read about it here:
https://www.arb.ca.gov/html/master_faqs/vehicle_faqs/greymarket_cars_faq.htm
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California