Author Topic: Number of Pagoda's Registerd in Germany  (Read 2424 times)

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
Number of Pagoda's Registerd in Germany
« on: August 24, 2016, 18:29:27 »
Every year on January 1 the German Licence Office (Kraftfahrt-Bundesamt) in Flensburg, Germany issues from the number of 230, 250 and 280 SL cars that have been registered.

Unfortunately the number does not represent all Pagoda's since cars that return from other parts of the world to Germany do not receive a Key Number ( Typ-Schlüsselnummer ) instead of the Key Number's 334, 345 and 380 cars returning to Germany are assigned a Key Number "000"

However, there are a number of Pagoda's in Germany that are registered with a red 06 or 07 ID number. Still all considered it is interesting to know that in Germany over 4,000 Pagoda's are registers. 

How high the actual number of Pagoda's is in Germany, unfortunately that is not known.

I've translated this in brief format from German to English. The data and German write up was shared from the Facebook Page of Mercedes-Benz SL-Club Pagode.

Table Translation

Schl. Nr. = Key-number

Bestand an zugelassenen W113 Fahrzeugen = Number of Registered W113 Vehicles 

Summe = Amount

Daten ab 2008 vom KBA I Keinerlei Gew+/- hr vor diesem Zeitpunkt = No Data prior to 2008 from KBA

Actualisiert am 13.08.2016 = Date Issued Aug. 13, 2016

Footnote: I read some time ago that more and more Pagoda’s are finding there way back to Germany, I wonder why that is. In fact I communicated with two members (one in Germany and another here in Canada) about a Pagoda that was originally purchased by the father of the fellow in Germany then sold to the fellow in Canada. A few years ago the fellow in Canada sold the car back to the son in Germany. I tried to write a story for our Pagoda World magazine since I thought it was a remarkable story. Unfortunately both Gentlemen gave up on the idea (I never heard back from the Canadian owner [he went down to Florida last year for his winter stay] that sold the car back to the son of the original owner in Germany). 

I also wonder how many Pagoda’s there are on the road in North America … I guess we will never know.

Happy Motoring to you All

Dieter
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

Tom Novak

• Junior Level
  • Czech Republic, Praha, Dobrovíz
Re: Number of Pagoda's Registerd in Germany
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 08:03:40 »
As a Canadian living in the Czech republic, I have 2 pagodas that I bought in Ontario and brought to Europe. Both were originally from Europe, apparently one from Belgium, exported to the US, where it underwent extensive renovation, unfortunately speedo in miles and temp in Fahrenheit. Later it was sold to a lawyer in northern Ontario, from whom I have bought the car. The other is a euro 280 sl with unfortunate American headlights. Apparently the previous owner broke on headlight and it was less expensive to buy 2 US lights than one Euro headlight. On top of it he threw out the good headlight. Some people.
230 SL arctic blue,1966 230 SL burgundy sold,1970 280 SL green sold, 1995 600SL , 1994 300 CE-24 cabrio,1973 450 sl white,1978 450 sl red,560sl sand, Rolls Royce Silver |shadow II, 1989 560 SEC brown,

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
Re: Number of Pagoda's Registerd in Germany
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 15:22:25 »
Tough to do that here in the UK as I don't think the DVLA use the chassis as a differentiator. Thus we are left simply with the badge on the back
250s...
https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicle/mercedes_250_sl#!tax

230s...
https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicle/mercedes_230_sl#!manufacture

280s... with the r129 thrown in...
https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicle/mercedes_280_sl#!manufacture
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather