Author Topic: Dash Panel  (Read 2439 times)

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
Dash Panel
« on: August 31, 2016, 05:28:31 »
This is a left-field question...
Does anyone make a RHD dash panel? That'd be the sheet metal from glove-box to speedo cluster. Mine has an oversized hole for the radio and a "spare" hole by the ignition so I am wondering if, rather than attempt a repair, there's a replacement panel that can be welded in

Thanks
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
Re: Dash Panel
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 15:35:16 »
Hello James,

No, that's not possible, this does not exist.

The dashboard is an integral part of the whole unibody structure of the Pagoda.  ???
Okay, the glove-box unit can be removed, the remainder on a late 250  (from VIN 002980 onwards) and all 280ies is fixed to the remainder of the body/chassis and cannot be replaced unless you drill spot-welded spots and "copy" all of these panels on your own. :P :-X :'(

Or, with other words, once you have got time (and money), the complete dashboard needs to be disassembles, all sensitive parts need to be taken out (gauges, steering lock, radio, heater levers perhaps, vent parts) and the non-original additional holes/openings/widenings need to be properly welded into their initial size. Followed by  a complete paint job of the dahsboard. A real professional "Stick" (or Roger Edwards Motors) job.

Sadly, as beautiful as it might be, the dashboard of our cars is an  "old fashioned" 50ies design and the whole unit cannot be taken out like the "plastic dash boards" of the newer R107, W116, W123 cars or so.

(On earlier 230ies and early 250 cars, the center sheet metal panel around the radio opening can be detached and replaced individually - but this is of no help for your 280).

Good luck !  ;)

Achim
(with DIN opening in 230/8 dash :o)
Achim
(Germany)

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
Re: Dash Panel
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 17:37:44 »
Thank you Achim - as clear as can be.

I need to replace one broken heater lever so there's work going on there (I bought a set of replacements) and got to thinking about what it might take to put the panel "right" and while I figure Stick could figure it out, I was hoping it might be easier (ahem, cheaper) to "simply" weld in new metal and spray... The car not being "correct" doesn't bother me, the oversized radio hole is starting to bug me... but is the "juice worth the squeeze" in making it good...
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather