Author Topic: air conditioning condensation behind vents gets carpet wet  (Read 2433 times)

jerrycastillo

Hello,

The metal housing behind the AC vents and the fan housing get very cold from the AC and get wet as the highly humid air is condensed at their surfaces. This condensation runs down and ends up wetting the carpet on the passenger side.
Has anyone encountered this same problem?
I thought I might cover the metal surfaces with self adhesive foam to avoid condensation. Any ideas will be welcome!!

Thank you!

Gerardo

Tyler S

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Encinitas
Re: air conditioning condensation behind vents gets carpet wet
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 00:50:33 »
There are usually insulation blankets n the inside of the cabinet. Yours may be deteriorated or missing. Rigid closed cell panels like those used for windshield sunshades work well as a replacement. I think you can remove the bottom cover without removing the unit. Others may know. Attach with spray adhesive or contact cement. Any local heating and air shop has this stuff.
http://m.homedepot.com/p/Reflectix-16-in-x-25-ft-Double-Reflective-Insulation-with-Staple-Tab-ST16025/100012574
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 00:56:31 by Tyler S. »
1968 (67) 250sl. 4 speed manual. DB180 Silver
1955 220 Cabriolet A. White Grey
2019 E450 Wagon. Majestic Blue
1936 Ford PU Flathead V8. Creme on tan interior.
1989 Volkswagen T3 Westfailia Campmobile. Dove Grey (blue)

jerrycastillo

Re: air conditioning condensation behind vents gets carpet wet
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 19:41:43 »
Thanks Tyler for your suggestions! :)

Anyone has ever disassembled a Frigiking underdash AC unit? I would like to open it and clean it inside. I would appreciate any procedures, photos, etc.

Gerardo