Author Topic: Which are the radios for the smaller opening on the 230SL?  (Read 2938 times)

col320ce

• Gold
  • Australia, Victoria, Glen Iris
Here is the list of radios from this website that are correct for a Pagoda, but which are able to be fitted to the smaller opening on the 230SL (44 x 170 mm)?

Thanks for any help...

Grand Prix TG - partly transistorised, Two units, Assembly with tubes and transistors, Automatic station tuning and Pushbutton station selection
    Europa TG - partly transistorised, Two units, Assembly with tubes and transistors, Pushbutton station selection
    Mexico TG - partly transistorised, Two units, Assembly with tubes and transistors, Automatic station tuning
    Monte Carlo TR - fully transistorised, Single unit
    Europa TR - fully transistorised, Two units, Pushbutton station selection
    Mexico TR - fully transistorised, Two units, Automatic station tuning
    Grand Prix TR - fully transistorised, Two units, Automatic station tuning and Pushbutton station selection
    Avus TR - fully transistorised, Single unit
    Mexico Cassette - Two units, Automatic station tuning and Stereo cassette, from 1970
    Europa MU - fully transistorised, Single unit, AM FM, 5 pushbutton station selection
    Europa Stereo - Two units, Pushbutton station selection, from 1970
    Grand Prix - Single unit, from 1970
    Avus - Single unit, from 1970
Col

1964 230SL
1965 250SE coupe
1993 320CE Sportline

Jowe

• Silver
  • Sweden, Västra Götaland, Gothenburg
Re: Which are the radios for the smaller opening on the 230SL?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 19:47:34 »
I think you will find specifications on all of them on http://www.radiomuseum.org

Also, there are some Blaupunkts from the era that fits.
Johan
04/1964 230SL, European, manual 4-sp, power steering, 050/050 white, black leather, Blaupunkt (SOLD)

DaveB

• Gold
  • Australia, Western Australia, Lathlain
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 21:45:50 »
The TGs are the tube radios. Europa TG and Grand Prix TG were fitted to 230SL until 65-66. Later 230SL and early 250SL got the small-face TR (transistor) radios: Europa, Grand Prix and Mexico. Then the large-face radios came in but the names remained the same. So you need to see pictures to know whether they'll fit your dash. There are specific differences in the style of the knobs and bezels that will help you distinguish them, as well as the faceplate dimensions of course. The technical manual has some information on this. But be aware some old radios for sale are mongrels of mismatched earlier and later parts.
DaveB
'65 US 230sl 4-speed, DB190

col320ce

• Gold
  • Australia, Victoria, Glen Iris
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 10:48:14 »
Awesome info!
I'll keep on the lookout for a slimline radio... Now I know what I'm looking for!
Col

1964 230SL
1965 250SE coupe
1993 320CE Sportline