Author Topic: Ballast resistor bypass relay  (Read 4071 times)

stewarttt

Ballast resistor bypass relay
« on: March 26, 2016, 05:14:21 »
I own a 1969 280 se coupe and would like to know if the wiring for the ballast resistor bypass relay is piggybacked off of the FIP or CSV relay. I have not been able to find a wiring diagram for this circuit anywhere. Thanks.

stewarttt

Re: Ballast resistor bypass relay
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 14:36:11 »
After doing a little more digging on this site, I have found a few more threads with a lot of info on this topic. It seems a good way to go might be to upgrade to the HP starter and use the extra terminal on the starter solenoid to bypass the ballast resistor.  I am two years into a rotisserie restoration of my 69 coupe, and have referred this site many times for the wealth of information it contains. Many thanks to the experienced users on this site.

Tyler S

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Encinitas
Re: Ballast resistor bypass relay
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 16:09:33 »
Stewart, I just upgraded the starter on my 250sl to the higher kw unit. The difference is night and day! You will be very happy with it. It does have the extra terminal for use on the bypass if needed. There is a slight difference in appearance though, and the lower hole is not threaded like the original so you will need a longer bolt and add a nut.
1968 (67) 250sl. 4 speed manual. DB180 Silver
1955 220 Cabriolet A. White Grey
2019 E450 Wagon. Majestic Blue
1936 Ford PU Flathead V8. Creme on tan interior.
1989 Volkswagen T3 Westfailia Campmobile. Dove Grey (blue)