Author Topic: Suspicious Email  (Read 2163 times)

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
Suspicious Email
« on: March 23, 2016, 16:14:49 »
A warning to all

Be wary if receiving an email from editor@sl113.org (which the email address for me as the PW editor). I have received two in the last couple of days with a zip file attached. No text, no comments, just the zip file. This is NOT coming from me, I do not send out zip files, especially with no explanation or verbiage.

As with any email you do not know the source from and with a zip file (or other odd extension) do not open the attached file. I quickly deleted the email and also deleted it from trash.

I have seen another scam with a Word type file attached, this one listing in the email header as an invoice. Again, be very careful, especially if not expecting any kind of invoice.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
Re: Suspicious Email
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 17:28:24 »
Dear all,

this is not just editor@sl113.org you may receive such an e-mail from. It can be your own e-mail address, any other sl113.org mail address or any of your friends mail addresses.

These mails have enclosed a self executing programs or word files with Macro's in the .zip file which do malicious things. Usually there is just a single teaser line with the .zip file such as "please find your invoice" or "here is that picture you requested", hoping that you'll open the .zip file.

On most e-mail clients there is a facility to check the header of the e-mail (show source, or View / Message / Raw source), or in the gmail browser there's a small drop down triangle. It shows you where the e-mail really came from (the mailed-by line). If it differs from the domain name of the from address, it is spam or dangerous. Most spam filters block this.

Just throw the message away. Do not open the .zip file!

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!