Author Topic: 2+2 (California Couple) interior trim  (Read 3040 times)

terry280SL

2+2 (California Couple) interior trim
« on: February 18, 2016, 00:07:23 »
I'm looking to replace the trim in my 2+2 - which is substantially different from other variants - and one that the trim companies I've been looking at online seem to have overlooked. My folding seat needs recovering, the carpet on the back of it needs replacing and the bodywork at the back needs replacement carpet - but it has to look right. And small things like the restraining strap for the folding seat, it has a screw with a ball on top - nobody seems to have these catalogued? Any others have these problems?

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
Re: 2+2 (California Couple) interior trim
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 22:21:51 »
Hello Terry,

Welcome to the Group. :)

As to your question,
replacing or repairing the interior is not the end of the world.  ??? Most members here had to have some or more work done to their interior in the past.

Gladly you have got a Mercedes, and most materials (vinyl, leather, tufting or DB nylon-loop carpet) are still available from the usual sources (see vendors list). However, not all colors from the old days are still available and perhaps some of the new materials aren't _exactly_ the same look as the old 1970 qualities of materials were; often these are modern replacements (leather for instance) which come pretty close to the original.

A 2+2 California Coupé is not more complicated than a regular softtop-compartment SL. Everything in the interior is identical up to the drivers' seats; from behind there, the 2+2 are different. However, the material is identical.
Cave: If you plan to replace your factory-original MB tex (= MB vinyl) with genuine leather, the seaming of the rear bench is different as the leather-trimmed bench has more seams than the one covered with vinyl.
Why don't you just show a few pics, and we can perhaps guide you to more explicit help here.

Good luck!

Achim
(no California but ex Washington (WA) car)
Achim
(Germany)

Gilstrap

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 23:01:18 »
I'm looking to replace the carpet in my California, but have yet to find a proper set specifically for it that looks good. I really don't want to buy a standard set and and extra carpet for the rear seat back/deck.

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 01:53:45 »
Have you tried KHM?

Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

Gilstrap

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 23:37:55 »
I completely forgot about them until you mentioned it. It looks like they offer a set for the CC. I'm going to request some samples and see how it goes. Thanks!

terry280SL

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2016, 08:56:38 »
Good call Garry - KHM do have all variations - including the CC - a gold star for that man!
I will order forthwith.

I see you're a man of many talents Garry - various SC Kombi's - and you're near me.
This is blatently off topic - but I've been trying to buy a DC for some time - very unsuccessfully. Have any leads?