Author Topic: Glasurit Paint  (Read 4354 times)

Kbshearer

Glasurit Paint
« on: December 06, 2015, 19:02:46 »
So.....I'm about to start the restoration process on my '67 230sl 5 speed. The car was originally metallic grey 172 G and at some point in its life was repainted as non metallic 124 G. I'd like to take it back to the original paint color. So....My initial thought is to use Glasurit 22.... I'm not tryng to bring this to show quality.....but very good driver. What are your thoughts on the single stage type paint? Is that okay for metallic? AND.....where can I source the paint?

Thanks!

Kirt

perry113

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, NY, Rensselaer
    • http://picasaweb.google.com/peterperry911113/1970280SECoupe#
Re: Glasurit Paint
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 23:44:22 »
Here's a few ways to look at it.

My first question would be is are you doing the painting or will a bodyshop be doing it?

If you are having a bodyshop of your choice do this then discuss it with them prior to buying any paint. The shop may not want to spray a different brand than what they normally use. And lets say you supply the paint and then there's an issue with paint and finish. How can the bodyshop stand behind the product?

Even though there is a second step to shooting a base then clear over single stage many shop may recommend base/clear because it is easier to repair and it gives you and extra POP (Bling) then just base.

There are shops out there that use Glasurit. If that's a requirement on your car then find a shop that uses it. Let them supply the paint. They can can buy the product for less then you can.

I consider myself a purist when it comes to repairing, restoring and maintaining. However I am flexible when it comes to deviating on paint brands. Again I revert that to the shop that I am going to use. I want them to be able to stand behind the product they spray. Can things go wrong when a shop sprays a product they don't normally use? Yes!

If there is an issue in one way or another the bodyshop can lean on their product rep to help them with the issue. I have seen this many times when trying to get the exact color tint. If you buy the paint and have them spray it and the color is not to your liking then what do you do?

I hope this helps.

Regards
Peter

« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 23:51:03 by perry113 »
Peter Perry
1970 911T Bahia Red
1972 911T Albert Blau
1963 220seb coupe barn
1965 230SL Light Ivory automatic
1966 230SL Havana Brown 4 speed Barn Find
1970 280SE living 3.5 donor car

Kbshearer

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 03:19:48 »
Thank you for your thoughts. Let me explain: I don't pretend to be knowledgeable about the specific process of painting myself, and certainly would not be doing the work. I'm just starting the research and planning of it all. I was considering Glasurit because that was the paint that was originally on the car. I want to take it back to the original color code. How big a deal is that to color match in a different brand? Doe the color code "172 G" have any meaning in another brand?

Thanks again for your perspective.....

Kirt

perry113

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, NY, Rensselaer
    • http://picasaweb.google.com/peterperry911113/1970280SECoupe#
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 14:06:51 »
Thank you for your thoughts. Let me explain: I don't pretend to be knowledgeable about the specific process of painting myself, and certainly would not be doing the work. I'm just starting the research and planning of it all. I was considering Glasurit because that was the paint that was originally on the car. I want to take it back to the original color code. How big a deal is that to color match in a different brand? Doe the color code "172 G" have any meaning in another brand?

Thanks again for your perspective.....

Kirt

I have seen some cases where the paint code may work within another paint brand and I have seen other cases where a paint camera is used along with some tinting to get the exact match. You can use your glovebox door if the paint is still original to get the match.
Peter Perry
1970 911T Bahia Red
1972 911T Albert Blau
1963 220seb coupe barn
1965 230SL Light Ivory automatic
1966 230SL Havana Brown 4 speed Barn Find
1970 280SE living 3.5 donor car

johndillman

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 16:41:51 »
Glasurit has a GREAT reputation and I know nothing to contradict that.  That said, as was suggested, let the shop use what they use.  They'll have the compatible reducers, accelerators, etc., etc. and will know how it should look, feel, spray, etc.  And, as mentioned, they will mix or buy it cheaper.  If you are concerned about color match, have them do a spray out on a small card before they paint the whole thing.  They shouldn't mind if you are willing to show up when they are ready. 

I have a preference for base coat/clear coat, and imagine most shops will.  That said, it you don't want that, it is your money, and they will be happy to oblige.

MikeL43

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 12:48:57 »
I just had some paint work done on my car by a semi retired guy who has worked on Mercedes and BMWs for over 35 years.  He  owns a large shop (his son runs it now) and said he used to use Glasurit paint but after getting several cars back because of fading decided to switch to another brand.  Sorry,I don't recall the brand (if I can get in touch with him I'll post it) but it was German.  He had a huge mixing/color matching machine for Glasurit which he scrapped to buy the brand he used on my car.  He said that he researched the Glasurit problem and discovered that Glasurit had to change their formula due to EPA requirements (thanks a lot and by the way and thanks for the alcohol in my gasoline) which resulted in a less durable product.  The paint he used on my car, white (050 color  it think) blended perfectly into my existing paint.  I am very happy with the results so far but I have only had it back for a month.
Mike L.

MikeL43

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2015, 20:27:40 »
In my last post I discussed problems my body man has had in the past with Glasurit paint fading but I did not have the brand of the paint that he used instead.  I just spoke to him and the paint that he used was Spies Hecker paint.  I can't tell how the Spies Hecker paint will last in the fading department as the work was only done a couple of months ago but the paint match for my white car was excellent.
Mike L.

Kbshearer

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2015, 21:56:48 »
Wow.....thank you so much for that information.....this is exactly why I wnated to post these thoughts here. While I'm not trying to make a show car, I do want to do things correctly and not have to redo things down the line. I'll look into that option.

Thanks!