W113 Pagoda SL Group > General Discussion

Engine cut off!

(1/2) > >>

hauser:
Took the car out for a 45 mile drive.  The weather was perfect for open top driving.  Strange thing occurred between 3500 and 4000 rpm.  It was almost as if the engine cut out on me for a split second.  This has only happened once before and today it happened again.  I was unable to duplicate this.  Any idea what would cause this?

1969 280sl 5 spd        1999 ML320          Gainesville,Fl.

hands_aus:
You have a loose wire somewhere, maybe ignition circuit.

I had the same thing happen to my car. Driving along hit a bump on the road ... engine cut out at 60 MPH, freaky! Continued driving hit another bump engine started working again, more freaky.
Continued driving, same process all over again.
Stopped the car, had a look around found a loose screw on the switch-side ballast resistor terminal. Tightened it up, drove away as if nothing happened.
At home I inserted a star washer under screw. No more problems.

It was just a test to see if I was awake. I thought I heard the car chuckle, but may have just been a backfire as I slowed down.

Bob (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL, auto

hauser:
Bob this is very similar to a modern engine when it hits its rev limiter.  As I said I was unable to duplicate the problem.  I remember that each of the two times it was under acceleration.  Do you still think there is something loose?

A Dalton:
<<< each of the two times it was under acceleration>>

.. posssibly lean mix....

hauser:
Dalton, would you please expand on your reply.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version