W113 Pagoda SL Group > General Discussion

280SL Hardtop Handle Removal

(1/1)

Douglas:
One of the fixed handles on my hardtop is broken. The one that locks down the rear portion of the top on the driver-side.

Can someone tell me how to remove my handle? Do I start by pounding out that pin in the center of the white plastic body?

Douglas Kim
New York, NY
280 SL #016220

gugel:
Douglas,

IMO, it's better to make a tool which consists of a kind of holder or brace for the plastic cone-shaped piece holding the pin and a threaded screw for pushing out the pin.  The tool doesn't need to be fancy -- my machinist did this for me.  The same tool can be used for re-installation.  If you hammer on the pin, it is possible to break the cone-shaped piece and/or other parts.  Note also that there are chrome collars on the visible ends of the pin.

FWIW, the very good article by Gernold on hardtop restoration does talk about driving out the pin, but he also says that it's sometimes necessary to drill it out.

Chris Earnest

Bob G:
Douglas:
I will sent you a copy of Gernold's article if you like sent me your mailing address. Also wanted to let you now the snow flake windshield decal and check oil decal are at the printer.

bob Geco

hauser:
Doug, check this out on ebay, item # 2494290211.  I don't know if this will help you solve the problem?

1969 280sl 5 spd        1999 ML320          Gainesville,Fl.

ted280sl:
Doug,
  The chrome collars over the pins need to come off first. They are held in by the plastic cones. Obviously the plastic cones need to be replaced. The cones on your car can be cut around the chrome sleevs so that the sleeves easlity slide off. The the cone is easy to remove and you have access to the nut that holds the handle mechanism onto the hardtop frame. I found that when I replaced the cones I was able to use a pair of pliers to squeeze the chrome collars into place.
Regards,
Ted
1969 280SL It seems I am not the only one thinking aout putting the hardtop on for winter

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version