Author Topic: U.S. License plate holder  (Read 3808 times)

k

U.S. License plate holder
« on: November 05, 2007, 11:17:20 »
Anyone make a nice chrome or steel plate holder.

Have the one form Buds, and its less than nice.

Paddy_Crow

Re: U.S. License plate holder
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 12:09:48 »
Front plate holder?

I bought the one from MillerMbz, it's stamped steel and I presume plated for anti-corrosion. It's pretty nice, although I understand there's also a spacer to get it far enough away from the bumper so the screws don't hit it. I just cut my screws off.

I haven't found a rear plate holder that I like so I came up with a homemade solution. The car had a plastic bracket that only used two screws to hold the plate on, I like to use all four. I had a piece of leftover Trex plastic decking that I cut to size, planed to thickness, and drilled holes in the appropriate places. Works and looks great!

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch...

k

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 12:32:02 »
Paddy, can you post a pic. Millers has no photo

Paddy_Crow

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 16:31:52 »
The license plate is in the way right now and it's kind of cold and rainy. I will snap a picture sometime when the weather is nicer and I don't mind being outside long enough to take the plate off.

One thing to keep in mind, the bracket has a slight curve to it to accommodate the bumper, so it puts a slight bow in the plate.

Paddy_Crow

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 16:37:16 »
As promised, a few photos (check out the authentic 1966 plates!). First, the front bracket from Millers:

As you can see, it puts about a half inch bow in the plate:

And now, my homemade bracket for the rear:

k

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 12:05:35 »
thanks

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 13:37:00 »
Bud's Benz is running a special on their license plate holders until Nov 16. From their email to me:

quote:
Dear Friends,

Having trouble mounting that license tag or speciality plate on the front of your 190SL or 300SL Roadster. How about on your 230SL, 250SL or your 280SL? Buds has an easy solution, "The Tag Bracket". Made from heavy aluminum so you don't have to worry about rust, the bracket easily  mounts to the bumper  with only two screws. The Tag Bracket is priced at $30.00 plus the cost of shipping and at this great price why not buy two, one for youself and one to give as a gift. Christmas is less than 50 days away and the Tag Bracket would  make a great stocking stuffer.

http://www.sl113.org/forums/uploaded/Waqas/2007118143335_buds-bracket35.jpg
The mounting hardward is designed to compensate for the angle of the bumper.

http://www.sl113.org/forums/uploaded/Waqas/2007118143421_buds-bracket34.jpg
The Tag Bracket is designed to accept standard size "State" license plates and speciality tags, as well as the elongated European style tag.

This offer is valid now through close of business (5:30P.M.EST) Friday, November 16, 2007.
To view other products Buds has to offer please click on the link below.

Buds Benz

Sincerely,

David Latham
Bud's Benz

Waqas in Austin, Texas
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 13:38:52 by waqas »
Waqas (Wa-kaas) in Austin, Texas