W113 Pagoda SL Group > General Discussion

Exhaust

(1/1)

knirk:
I have a hole in the middle muffler. The rest of the system is very good so I want to change only the blown one. This is the first car I have oned were all the joints are welded together. Looks like a hard job to weld in a new muffler and then getting it to fit when hoisting it back up again. I was thinking that it might be a better idea to weld on a short split pipe on each end of the new muffler and fasten it with clamps - therby getting it more flexible. Any ideas?

Per G. Birkeland
69 280 sl aut 834
Norway

Ben:
Maybe the new retrofit mufflers come with larger split pipes to fit OVER the remaining pipes ??

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.
'03 CLK Kompressor

graphic66:
You could just weld a patch over the hole. My resonator had the common hole from condensation and 2 years ago I welded some heavy metal over it and it has held great. The rest of the system was great. Even the resonator looked good except for that hole. If it's not a show car you could save some money and get a few more years out of your system.

knirk:
The new muffler comes with an inside hole diameter of 43mm to fit the pipes which are 43 mm outside. And then you are supposed to stick it in and weld it together. Since I have to cut the old pipes, they will be too short - hence a need for a pice of pipe in between. I am beginning to think that it would maybe be wiser to change the hole system.

Download Attachment: Muffler.jpg
82.02 KB

Per G. Birkeland
69 280 sl aut 834
Norway

hauser:
You may want to consider buying a whole new system.  I think you will be much happier.  Usually mufflers will rust from the inside out.  I have a Time Valve exhaust (stainless steel)on my '69 and am very happy with it.

1969 280sl 5 spd        1999 ML320          Gainesville,Fl.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version