Author Topic: Ashtray Housing Fixings  (Read 4843 times)

PeterPortugal

• Gold
  • Portugal, Faro, Lagoa
Ashtray Housing Fixings
« on: September 23, 2015, 12:53:57 »
Hi All,

Another question on how to re-instate my 63 W111 interior fixings I'm afraid.

The holder (metal box) for the ashtray which is fixed into the dash has a fixing lug on each side. The one on the left is retained by the same stud / nut which fixes the heating ventilation controls fascia to the dash. What fixes the lug on the right which is located to the left hand side of the glove box. The fixing seems to line up with a hole to fasten the glove box itself into the dash but I'm sure this just had a self tapping screw located here when I took it apart (last Winter !!)

Regards

Peter
1963 220se Cabrio
1968 280se Coupe

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
Re: Ashtray Housing Fixings
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 04:25:39 »
On my '68 W111, that hole is for the upper left side glove box screw mount. Uses a cupped finishing washer BTW. The glove box has three mounting holes using sheet screws and the J nuts. Two on the right side and one on the left as you pictured. The hole below the left side screw hole is for the glove box light plunger switch. The mounting flange on the glove box is cut out here for clearance for the light. 

The left ash tray mount is for sure the same as the heater control. I will have to look where the right side is. Pretty sure not the same as the glove box.
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe
'70 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6

PeterPortugal

• Gold
  • Portugal, Faro, Lagoa
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 07:13:40 »
Thanks Wallace. I appreciate your help with this.

I guess the cupped washer shown in my picture should be used at all three screw locations for the glovebox? I only have the one shown in my picture at the moment.

Also should these washers be used for the screws / j-nuts which fix the leather trim to the dash too as per my other post? I haven't got any washers for there either !

Regards

Peter

p.s. I am amazed that 160+ people have looked at your temperature sensor routing post and not one response !
1963 220se Cabrio
1968 280se Coupe

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 14:08:43 »
The cupped washer is used for the oval sheet screws where they attach the leather at seen spots. For instance, under the upper leather with clip nuts as you say. Also on the glove box mounts. These are kind of hard to find and I had to use SAE. Close enough. They are "finishing" washers but not called that. I will have to look and see what the specific name is.
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe
'70 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6