Author Topic: holes in bumbers from bumper guards  (Read 5777 times)

Michaelg

holes in bumbers from bumper guards
« on: July 15, 2016, 15:20:48 »
I am a relatively new owner of my 1970 280 sl.
I removed these aweful looking rubber and steel bumper guards from my bumpers and i have large holes to fill. Most of you i see have removed them as well. What did you fill/plug the holes with? So it looks good.
Thanks in advance.

Michael

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: holes in bumbers from bumper guards
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 18:04:30 »
Michael,

Count me as one of those who will leave the "as delivered" condition as is. If you might even remotely have a chance of having a bumper saved by a bumper guard, you might feel the same way. I would not remove my guards for anything. To each their own...price a bumper however, before you dismiss me!

That being said, you are looking for what is called a "chrome plated hole plug"; and these come in all variety of shapes and sizes, and are available in a variety of places for many applications of which automotive is just one. Do a search for that term and you'll have plenty of choices. When I say "variety of shapes" understand some are flat, some are domed, etc. They all do not look the same...

http://www.lowes.com/pd/The-Hillman-Group-Hole-Plugs-Chrome-1-2/3013213

That's just one minor example in a ½" size (probably too large for your application) but it gives you an idea of what you are looking for.

What others have done at great cost (as part of an overall restoration) is have the holes welded up, the bumpers repaired and then re-chromed. That's a costly process and done for more than filling a hole, however.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Montreal V8

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 18:59:28 »
  Hi Michael.  I'm one of those who also think they are ugly (Sorry, Michael S) and removed them, protection notwithstanding. I filled the holes exactly as Michael suggested, the chrome plugs look fairly unobtrusive, if you use the flat type. I contemplated filling and re chroming, but considering the cost, I convinced myself they look great (tongue in cheek)  Cheers,   Dale.

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2016, 22:43:28 »
I used the "Replace the bumper" approach.  I bought aftermarket bumpers and kept my originals for if I wanted to return to original condition.

Montreal V8

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2016, 00:04:28 »
    "Replace the bumpers" ?    Heavens, I'm WAY too cheap for that !!   Cheers,   Dale.

Tyler S

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Encinitas
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2016, 00:21:57 »
Use the top holes in front to add some fog lights.
1968 (67) 250sl. 4 speed manual. DB180 Silver
1955 220 Cabriolet A. White Grey
2019 E450 Wagon. Majestic Blue
1936 Ford PU Flathead V8. Creme on tan interior.
1989 Volkswagen T3 Westfailia Campmobile. Dove Grey (blue)

Montreal V8

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2016, 01:15:26 »
 I had fog lights fitted, but now have Euro lights, so took them off. Hey, if anyone wants them I'll sell them cheaply, but they are Hella, not Bosch, and shipping would probably cost more than they're worth, sorry !     Cheers,  Dale.

Mike K

• Inactive
  • Silver
  • South Africa, Gauteng, Johannesburg
    • Mike Kirkinis
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2016, 07:38:10 »
I removed the bumper guards and plugged the holes with chrome bolts. I prefer the look of the car without the bumper guards; as it was originally designed by Paul Bracq.

Best,
Mike
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 07:42:51 by Mike K »
Feb. 1971 Mercedes 280SL Auto  LHD (Last of W113 Series)
Aug. 1989 Mercedes R107 300SL RHD (Last of R107 Series)
http://michali.zenfolio.com
http://www.lebombo-safaris.com

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, JACKSONVILLE
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2016, 20:05:18 »
In spite of parking away from everyone, I returned to my car shortly after I bought it to discover one of the bumper guards bent back at the top.  Whatever moron backed into my car and left the scene would have dented the grille, damaged the paint work around the grille and porobably broken a headlight.  I wasn't able to right the bumper guard perfectly, but it was a heck of a lot better than filing an insurance claim, finding a body shop to do good work, spending all the time, etc. 
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2016, 21:27:29 »
I am with Mike and my car will stay as delivered the bumper guards don't bother me at all and will do there job should danger approach like a light bump  :)

I did however learn something in Oley, PA last week Saturday at the Deutsche Classic, apparently my rear lights are not original for my assembled 280 SL that rolled off the assembly line late in 1968. It was pointed out to me that my rear lights are from 1970 ... this also does not bother me at all when I compared the original and mine I'm glad to have the later design (hate tho have someone ram me in the back) :) They must have been changed during the 1992 restoration work done at RM here in Ontario. Thank you RM.
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

Mechudo62

• Inactive
  • Junior Level
  • Mexico, Distrito Federal, Mexico City
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2016, 23:25:53 »
If you drive your car regularly, keep the bumper guards. They do protect your grille up front and your tail lights in the back. Unless your Pagoda is always kept out of regular traffic or parking lots, believe me you need the guards!  If your roadster will only see car shows at the country club with limited around town use, then by all means remove the guards. I would remove the side marker lights and do the associated body work, and replace the headlights with the European fishbowl style to complete the cars show effect.  The resulting cleaner look as Paul Bracq intended will make you win every show, but without the guards your beautiful bumpers, grille and precious European headlights are at the mercy of every SUV at the supermarket parking lot.
Greetings from sunny Mexico!
Fernando Mangino

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2016, 22:25:20 »
but without the guards your beautiful bumpers, grille and precious European headlights are at the mercy of every SUV at the supermarket parking lot.

That's right, :o
but better is to keep the Pagoda far away of any SUV and especially from any supermarket like parking lot. :-X :-\ :'(
You will add up damages when you hang around on supermarket parking lots - sooner or later - with or without bumper guards. No one protects you doors, etc. ??? :-X
Do your shoping with your everyday-car but get off there with the Pagoda and instead better tour around on the countryside. ;) 8)

Just my 2 cents ....

Achim

Achim
(Germany)