Author Topic: IP Cone valves replacemet with ball valves  (Read 3540 times)

watson2

• Senior
  • Italy, Lombardy, Vigevano
IP Cone valves replacemet with ball valves
« on: July 03, 2015, 17:01:59 »
I wanted to continue the David Brough thread even if it’s a little old (2007), because it was the nearest to my problem/question.But I didn't find the 'reply' button.

Well: on my 1964 230 SL  is installed a FI pump with the number EP/RLA 1/1 on the governor section
and the pump  ID # shown in 1757.jpg. My pump has cone valves that compelled me to install the cabin switch to make warm start easier.
I read that ball valves are much better and not only for the start.
So I began searching these ball valves and…
in a pump that probably belonged to a crashed car, here they are!

I extracted and cleaned the valves; then I have accurately finished the 12x1 threadings and protected them with oil.  
I read in other parts of the forum that the installation of the ball valves in substitution of the cone ones is quite easy, simply removing the cone valves and dropping  down the ball valves. Is it so easy ? Is there  something  that I must know before making the job done?
I have my mechanic, but I prefer to have a first advice from  you  because this site is really a well of science.
Thank you, guys.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 20:33:52 by watson »

watson2

• Senior
Re: IP Cone valves replacemet with ball valves
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 17:06:13 »
Excuse me. Two other  details : the crashed pump has the same number  of mine on the governor section and the serial number is in the attached image .
In comparison with the image posted by Hans in Sweden I see different washers (metal in Hans’s one , nylon in mine) . Does it make difference for the installation?
And , at last : which is the meaning of the threads of the valves?  Are they useful only to extract the valves or are there other things to know?  
Thank you again      

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 18:17:53 »
You could just put the link to the old thread here.
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

watson2

• Senior
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 20:30:38 »

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2015, 17:26:14 »
Richard Simmonds did a write up about this in Pagoda Notes - Volume 8 No 1, available in the tech manual section
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

watson2

• Senior
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 00:37:41 »
Richard Simmonds did a write up about this in Pagoda Notes - Volume 8 No 1, available in the tech manual section

Thank you Jonny. I have read avidly the note. Great job, Richard Simonds ! Thank you for sharing
But still remains a question about the meaning and function of the threads and the thickness of the washers.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 08:52:16 by watson »