Author Topic: Hello from new member  (Read 6365 times)

zak

• Silver
  • USA, NJ, Bernardsville
Hello from new member
« on: August 17, 2015, 22:04:27 »
I just joined the group after reading for a few months.
I find the issues raised and topics discussed here very interesting.
I have a 1967 late model 250 SL, 4 spd that was originally sold in France and brought to the US in the 1980's. No side markers and had the yellow headlight bulbs in the euro lenses that came with the car.
By no means concours ,but presentable and a great driver in Horizon Blue with dark blue interior that I throw around the hills on NJ on the weekends. I have owned her for 25+ years.
I have been an MB guy forever after I graduated from Alpine Sunbeams and Rover 2000TC's.
I have no real technical problems at all with the car, but I only drive the car maybe 500 miles per year. Not enough!
I am planning some improvements to spruce up the car - new soft top, tighten up the window lifts that rattle so much and maybe new seat surfaces. The seats are in OK shape, no tears or rips and look like old style MB Tex, but I can't tell for sure. It's a smooth surface, not like the textured MB Tex of later years. Or should I save the originals? Likewise the fire wall. It's the original for sure and in decent shape. Should I replace just to look clean and new? Or preserve?
From what I read here you guys know your 113's from all over the world.
Good to be on board.
thanks

jz
1967 250 SL
1983 280 SL
2015 ML 250 Bluetec
2007 ML CDI
2004 E 320 Wagon
1999 E300 Turbodiesel

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
Re: Hello from new member
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 22:46:46 »
Welcome to our mids JZ, glad you have found us after all those years that you own this fine car.

You will find a great and helpful cross-section of Full Members here. We are truly International.

Post some pictures of your car ... Don't be shy we like to see them in whatever shape and/or condition they are :)
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 15:24:28 »
JZ, welcome to the group.

Preservation or replacement is always a conundrum. If in good condition, I tend to favor preservation. But that can also be a give/take. I have a very original (whatever that really means) 280 SL. The interior is complete, and the only "improvement" I have done is to have the seat pads replaced. The seats are leather and were in very good shape, with no tears or rips. They have cleaned up nicely. There is some fading on the top of the door panels, but I accept that.

As with the firewall pad, if it is not flaking away, I would try to keep it. The new ones are much closer to the original style, and are a good upgrade if the old one is really shot.

As Dieter typed, post a few photos. We just love to see photos.

And the folks here indeed want to help, to see another 113 kept on the road.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

Pinder

• Gold
  • USA, NJ, Edison
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 01:41:03 »
hi JZ,

Im also in NJ. Edison to be exact. I recently (in april) purchased a 280SL 4 speed. The car was not running (sat for over 30+ years) in a garage. I am in the process of restoring it. It has very little rust but a host of other issues. I have removed the engine and re bored it. this is a long project for me as I am doing all the work myself (except re-bore). I have loved these cars but could never really afford one. I had purchased one many years ago in perfect working condition but backed out of the deal for reason Id rather not mention. Anyway I know own one and doing the best restore I can within my budget.  i have only just got the title to the car (a NJ title) this car was from Rye NY and had no title or transferable registration so it was a long 14 step process to get the title.

regards

Pinder
1970 280 SL Light Ivory DB 670. 4 Speed manual shift no AC Limited Slip Diff.

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 04:31:09 »
Hello Pinder,

Welcome to our Pagoda SL Group, be sure to ask questions if you need help. There is a wealth of information as well as knowlageble members here that are happy to share there experiances with you and point you in the right direction.

Why not document your rebuild with a photographic thread here, it may help others in the future. This is what our site is all about, helping one another. Good luck.
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

zak

• Silver
  • USA, NJ, Bernardsville
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 20:22:00 »
Thanks for the welcome gentlemen.
Pinder, good luck with the restoration. What year and color is the car?
Rolf-Dieter, I have been a member of MBUSA for many years . I like the international aspect of the group and the world of knowledge and information.
Johnny B, thanks I am a lazy sot when it comes to actually doing the work. The planning and discussion of the work has it's own pleasures.
But for me the thrill is in the driving. Lot's of 45 mph hills and switchbacks and country roads by me . A 4000 rpm 2nd to 3rd gear shift is what puts a smile on my face. I don't much hi way driving at all with noise so the car never gets any extended drives.
Top down for now but I enjoy dry weather winter driving with the hard top on. The supreme visibility of the pagoda greenhouse and the added rigidity when the hard top is latched into place makes it a different car too. I haven't put the soft top up in 5 years I think. So I use the car like a California coupe. 
Best.

jz   
1967 250 SL
1983 280 SL
2015 ML 250 Bluetec
2007 ML CDI
2004 E 320 Wagon
1999 E300 Turbodiesel

Pinder

• Gold
  • USA, NJ, Edison
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2015, 02:54:21 »
JZ,

Year is a 1970. Color right now is Red. but original color is Ivory. Sort of an off white from what I can tell. Its a 4 speed. It has very little rust as its been garaged since 1985. Good points are a solid body and basically original car with same engine block as build sheet. I did have to buy a replacement hard top so numbers on thatr wont match. Im having fun restoring it. I pulled the engine and in the process of detailing it and rebuilding it (re-bore next size over, replace whatever I can afford to do) paint engine etc. My biggest challenge was not actually mechanical but getting a NJ title. Previous owner was from NY and didn't register it  since 85. Lost all records. i had to use the 14 step process in NJ to get title. Took around 3 months but got a clear title a few weeks ago.

Regards

Pinder
1970 280 SL Light Ivory DB 670. 4 Speed manual shift no AC Limited Slip Diff.