Author Topic: The Question "Where to meet" Comes up again and again  (Read 7342 times)

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
The Question "Where to meet" Comes up again and again
« on: April 09, 2015, 20:17:45 »
Gentleman, Spring is here (I think at least the snow is gone now) and soon it be time to get our car out from the winter hibrination and take that first drive.

Then many of us will ask (apart from local car shows) where do we meet? Pagoda drivers with similar interests. Just today I saw another post asking "Where to people in your area meet in Florida"

It got me thinking, why not in your immediate area (anyone can do it) make a screen shot of your area and or neighbouring state and generate a list of Pagoda owners in your immediate area? You might ask "Well how do you expect me to do that?" well it is rather simple. Go to the Members area sort the dataBase by "Location" then go to your Members name and see who lives closest to you then fire up an e-mail to those members and ask "Where do you folks meet"

This will start the conversation going and you might join an exciting meeting point or create a new one near you.

Another way would be to start a thread here in the Event's Section with a Subject Line that asks a question about meeting in your area include a section of your map area (similar to the examples Ive attached here). It should get some dialog going from members.

When I drove my BMW M3 we got together using similar means and always had a great time even if we just meet for coffee on a Sunday afternoon. Remember this is your site that has been created by some fine people that initially set up the Pagoda SL Group , the web site is great it provides us with all the tools (I'm referring to the dataBase when you click on "Members" you can sort every field what a great tool that is}  :)

It's just am idea Gentleman perhaps you have a better idea ... if so let's hear it.

BTW, Should you take the initiative to e-mail your fellow Pagoda driver near you and you notice in the "Member" dataBase that h/her town is not shown ask if h/she can not update the Profile. Should anyone read this and know that h/her Profile is not up to date, why not updated it, who know's you might get an e-mail to join in the fun of the next meet :)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 20:23:30 by Rolf-Dieter »
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
Re: The Question "Where to meet" Comes up again and again
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 10:31:36 »
I simply have to BUMP this post ....

Looks like 55 individuals have opened and apparently read this thread, no one to date has given any feedback as to what is happening in your neck of the woods :)

What about other ideas how to get together locally in your area?

I know some of us are going to PUB 2015 ... The question is what about the rest of the summer  ???

Come now you all have a great automobile, why not share here on this thread what your plans are as far as ...

A) shows you go to or B) trips / or outings you have planned this year.

Chances are someone near you might even join in the fun.

I will continue to BUMP this post  :) perhaps a few of you will take a minute or two to share with the rest of us.
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, JACKSONVILLE
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 22:22:57 »
Here in Jacksonville, we have a Cars & Coffee event the second Saturday of each month at the Times-Union building in downtown JAX. I expect to be at the next one this May 9th.  If you'll send me a private message or email, I'd be pleased to meet you there.  There is a Corner Bakery a block away where we can have lunch if you like.

I see the Chicago folks are proposing a meet-up at their C&C events.  That is a great way to have some no-cost fun and meet fellow car nuts with a really interesting variety of rolling stock and someone else has done all the planning for you. 
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 03:14:14 »
We are also trying to organise a Pagoda C and C on 9 May at a venue yet  to be decided in Melbourne. During that meeting we can decide if we want to make it a regular monthly meeting.

Garry
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 15:24:48 »
I will also add, if you do have a local gathering, get some pictures and a short article and I will be happy to include in Pagoda Notes or Pagoda World. I was thinking of a couple of pages of "Local Events" just as MBCA does for the Star Magazine. But I need the information!!
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 19:38:04 »
The social aspects of owning a Pagoda and being a member of this group are the primary reason I'm a member.
Since I had a fuel system problem with my Pagoda in about 2006, and I was deeply in the midst of restoring another car, my Pagoda sat for 5 years without any, make that "ANY", attention.  Once the other car was gone, I started on the Pagoda restoration.  NO CHOICE, since that stationary five years caused severe deterioration of everything in contact with fuel, coolant or humid air (five Quebec winters, even in a heated garage will suffice).

I'm hoping against hope to finish the restoration enough to drive it to PUB2015, but if not, I'm going anyway.

All the above is to say that I'm not going to meet anyone this summer, unless it's in my garage.  During the last year, I've already been visited by jpinet, mnahon and jkalplus1.  If anyone can get to Quebec City this summer, I will be thrilled to receive you, but it's unlikely that I can meet anyone away from Quebec City, until I head for Blacklick.

If I have to take the family car, I'll still follow the convoy and be along with a "chase car" in case someone has problems and needs me to run for parts.

If any of you can get to Quebec City, send me a PM.  I'm just across the river in Levis and will be happy to receive you.  I've got a new Cappuccino machine and plenty of beer and wine to drink while we're talking Pagodas.

Tom Kizer
Apparently late 1966 230SL 4-spd manual (Italian Version)
Owned since 1987 and wrapping up a full rotisserie restoration/modernization.
Was: Papyrus White 717G with Turquoise MBtex 112 and Kinderseat
Is: Dark Blue 332G with Dark Blue Leather (5300, I think)

Lou F

• Regular
  • USA, PA, Langhorne
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 00:13:05 »
Would anybody be interested in a Pagoda meet at the Reading Pagoda?  I made the trip last year and got some great pictures.  The website is http://www.readingpagoda.com/ My car has been in the shop for 3 weeks and I like to plan a trip when I get it back.  Anyone interested?

Lou F
Lou The Engineer's Rule - "Never Compromise.  Improvise"
1969 280SL Automatic - White with blue interior.

Flyair

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Warsaw
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 22:53:24 »
Lou, trust me: I am interested and would love to...

All I need is to figure out how I could make it one of those weekends ??? ;D
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 23:47:43 by Flyair »
Stan
1971 280SL
2011 SL550 AMG
2011 GL
2015 GLA