Author Topic: Engine Detailing  (Read 3354 times)

Ron500E

Engine Detailing
« on: April 20, 2015, 02:36:32 »
Not sure if this should be in this area or the Engine area...

Does anyone have, or know of, the finish on the fasteners, as well as other parts, on the 65 230SL's?
I believe the fasteners are zinc dichromate but those holding the oil pan seem to be cadmium.

The block was black but what about the head?
The oil sump was natural aluminum and the pan black.

Looking for a guide as to what finishes were used when it left the factory.

Thanks,
Ron

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, JACKSONVILLE
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
Re: Engine Detailing
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 22:54:07 »
The head was not painted.  Have a poke around the Wiki tech manual for many good photos.
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

Ron500E

Re: Engine Detailing
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 06:14:39 »
The head was not painted.  Have a poke around the Wiki tech manual for many good photos.

Thank for the info. it helped quite a bit.

What I am specifically looking for are the finishes on certain components such as fasteners and the various lines as well as tubing.
Sort of like an accurate version of the "Original" book.
To the best of my knowledge, which is limited to say the least, many parts were cadmium plated with a zinc dichromate finish on top.

Also, it appears that the various sand castings, as opposed to die castings, were left in raw untreated aluminum. The die castings may have been given a coat of some type of sealer. But that's just a guess, nothing more.

The fasteners seem to have been a mix of cadmium and zinc over steel while the studs were just left au naturale.

MMCC still has a good assortment of the older stuff, including copper and aluminum washers, various M fasteners, hollow bolts and ends, etc., etc.

http://www.metricmcc.com/

Kind Regards,

Ron
113.042 White/Blue
124.036 Malachite/Mushroom
124.052 Malachite/Mushroom
124.092 Malachite/Mushroom
124.092/M119 Red/Parchment
126.045 AMG 6L Wide Body Black/Black
Radio Flyer Single Seater Red
Bob Jackson 10 Speed Blue
and a few other non M-B's cluttering up my life.....