Author Topic: Top Gear suspended by BBC  (Read 37016 times)

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
Re: Top Gear suspended by BBC
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2015, 16:06:43 »
I agree with others that the show should not have been cancelled, IMHO Richard Hammond would make a great replacement then BBC should find another to replace Richard.

As for Clarkson ... I think he now did himself in for good if you watch this clip you will see it too. I think he is done for no matter how many fans want him back.

here is the clip ----> http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/top-gear-presenter-jeremy-clarkson-calls-bbc-executives-f-ing-b-stards-1201456807/     
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

49er

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2015, 15:08:46 »
So long Jeremy. Show won't be the same but hopefully the BBC will find a new presenter that has the same enthusiasm for automobiles that he did.

John
1969 280SL 003820
Un Restored, All Original, including the paint
Original Owner, Purchased September 18, 1968
4 speed manual, PS. 77217 miles
7280 miles since awoken from her 20+ yr "nap" in 2010

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2015, 15:11:10 »
His contract was due for renewal (as are those for May and Hammond). The BBC have decided not to renew jeremy's contract. Here's a statement from the DG... Sums it up very well IMO

"It is with great regret that I have told Jeremy Clarkson today that the BBC will not be renewing his contract.

"It is not a decision I have taken lightly. I have done so only after a very careful consideration of the facts and after personally meeting both Jeremy and Oisin Tymon.

"I am grateful to Ken MacQuarrie for the thorough way he has conducted an investigation of the incident on 4 March.

"Given the obvious and very genuine public interest in this I am publishing the findings of his report. I take no pleasure in doing so.

"I am only making them public so people can better understand the background. I know how popular the programme is and I also know that this decision will divide opinion. The main facts are not disputed by those involved.#

"I want to make three points.

"First - The BBC is a broad church. Our strength in many ways lies in that diversity. We need distinctive and different voices but they cannot come at any price.

"Common to all at the BBC have to be standards of decency and respect. I cannot condone what has happened on this occasion.

"A member of staff - who is a completely innocent party - took himself to Accident and Emergency after a physical altercation accompanied by sustained and prolonged verbal abuse of an extreme nature. For me a line has been crossed.

"There cannot be one rule for one and one rule for another dictated by either rank, or public relations and commercial considerations.

"Second - This has obviously been difficult for everyone involved but in particular for Oisin. I want to make clear that no blame attaches to him for this incident. He has behaved with huge integrity throughout. As a senior producer at the BBC he will continue to have an important role within the organisation in the future.

"Third - Obviously none of us wanted to find ourselves in this position. This decision should in no way detract from the extraordinary contribution that Jeremy Clarkson has made to the BBC.

"I have always personally been a great fan of his work and Top Gear. Jeremy is a huge talent. He may be leaving the BBC but I am sure he will continue to entertain, challenge and amuse audiences for many years to come.

"The BBC must now look to renew Top Gear for 2016. This will be a big challenge and there is no point in pretending otherwise. I have asked Kim Shillinglaw to look at how best we might take this forward over the coming months. I have also asked her to look at how we put out the last programmes in the current series."
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2015, 15:11:50 »
The show won't be the same.  And that's a good thing in this case.  We don't reward bullies.
http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-32052736
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2015, 18:19:06 »
My bet: Clarkson, May and Hammond will be retained by Netflix to produce a car show. Netflix Original. You heard it here first. Netflix shares will soar with over 100M new viewers all around the world. Buy the shares now!

(Disclaimer: this is my personal opinion, not that of sl113.org. I'm frequently wrong. Your mileage may vary. Stock prices can go up as well as down. All my advice is accepted at your own risk)
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

49er

• Platinum
« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2015, 18:34:53 »
I agree Peter. My thoughts were either Netflix, or another worldwide subscription network such as HBO. Game of Thrones is pretty much a British series (at least the actors for the most part are British) and it sure seems to do well in markets all over the world.
John
1969 280SL 003820

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2015, 18:45:24 »
My bet: Clarkson, May and Hammond will be retained by Netflix to produce a car show. Netflix Original. You heard it here first. Netflix shares will soar with over 100M new viewers all around the world. Buy the shares now!
Interesting perspective.  I don't think that will happen.  What I think is that Clarkson isn't worth much without the other two, and that Top Gear can continue with a suitable replacement.  I think reading the article after the investigation significantly damages his image, and that along with his public rants about it and how the BBC has F'd themselves isn't going to do him any favors.

We'll just have to wait and see, I think the outcome really depends on the other two.
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2015, 20:20:05 »
Scoot, much as I would agree with you (see my earlier posts) most of the unwashed public defends Mr. Clarkson and his views, and has no morals in getting their entertainment (see signatures, comments on Facebook etc...). And I think both Hammond and May have already indicated that they will not continue without Clarkson.

I'm waiting and will see....
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2015, 20:23:21 »
... most of the unwashed public defends Mr. Clarkson and his views, and has no morals in getting their entertainment

Well said, and unfortunately I would have to agree.

And I think both Hammond and May have already indicated that they will not continue without Clarkson.

I'm waiting and will see....
Yes, we will have to wait and see.  I was not aware that Hammond and May have chimed in on this, seems a bit too soon to know for sure.

Scott
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #59 on: March 26, 2015, 12:54:51 »
One of the local papers in the UK, The Cheddar valley Gazette has a brilliant scoop on this...

"
Jeremy Clarkson fired just two years after Top Gear films in Cheddar Gorge

It comes just two years after Clarkson's colleague James May filmed a sequence with a double-decker bus in Cheddar Gorge.

Clarkson is not believed to have been there for the filming."

http://www.cheddarvalleygazette.co.uk/Jeremy-Clarkson-fired-just-years-aftyer-Gear/story-26230188-detail/story.html
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: Top Gear's Worst Nightmare...
« Reply #60 on: March 26, 2015, 13:02:58 »
Oh, my. He's (Clarkson) not officially gone yet and look what that wretched BBC has done!  ;)

https://youtu.be/MlT7Ku_UDoc
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Paul & Dolly

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, Wales, CARDIFF
  • i Car
« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2015, 15:21:45 »

Excellent,

Give him the job...

After all it is a couple of years now since the BBC also sacked him !

Keep laughing

Paul

Paul (located in Cardiff - Wales - UK)
1967 Early 250 SL (Auto) White
Mitsubishi i Car
Toyota RAV 4  Hybrid AWD
1936 Alvis Firebird (Gone............)

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2015, 21:33:59 »
 :D :D :D :D :D :D
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2015, 12:38:29 »
We Americans LOVE British imports...we truly do. But please--take Russell Brandt back...please... ;)
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
« Reply #64 on: March 27, 2015, 13:15:26 »
:)
 :) :)
 :) :) :)
 ::) ::) ::) ::)

Thinking of getting some Netflix shares ~grin~

The trio travels all over the world let them come to North America and continue the show I say.
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

49er

• Platinum
« Reply #65 on: March 27, 2015, 13:40:58 »
1969 280SL 003820