Author Topic: Need a new firewall pad  (Read 8878 times)

ncsurfer

• Inactive
  • Senior
  • USA, NC, Raleigh
  • In good company!
    • Sandhills Motoring Festival, Pinehurst, NC
Need a new firewall pad
« on: December 29, 2014, 03:13:18 »
I joined this group right after all of the firewall pads were sold out. Does anyone have an extra pad they would be willing to sell? Benzrestorer on Ebay has one for $200. It looks good. I read in an earlier thread that someone bought one from him and had good results. Any ideas?
Thanks....
1970 280sl Horizon blue/navy, automatic
1973 450sl Silver/red, automatic
1985 280sl red/beige, 5 speed
1995 E320 Cab. Black/Cream, Auto
2016 Porsche Boxster Spyder
2008 Porsche Boxster RS 60 Spyder
1964 MB L1113 Firetruck

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
Re: Need a new firewall pad
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 03:27:59 »
I would assume that from a reputable supplier like Babak the quality would be comparable to the group firewall pad.  I am sure Babak would welcome an email posing the question.

ncsurfer

• Inactive
  • Senior
  • USA, NC, Raleigh
  • In good company!
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 05:06:36 »
Thanks. I read a thread that Babak is benzrestorer. I will contact him.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 05:17:26 by ncsurfer »
1964 MB L1113 Firetruck

Kazoo

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 00:33:24 »
there is one that is claimed to be Original Style on Authentic Classics for $174.

http://www.authenticclassics.com/Mercedes-230SL-250SL-280SL-Firewall-Pad-set-p/auth-003538.htm

has anyone seen this one, I need one too!

Thanks,

W

ncsurfer

• Inactive
  • Senior
  • USA, NC, Raleigh
  • In good company!
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 02:56:32 »
Thanks W,
I am checking this one out....... I am looking at benzrestorer on Ebay too for $199. Has anyone bought one from benzrestorer? I need to order one this week plus assorted firewall gromets and start putting my 280sl back together...
Thanks......
1964 MB L1113 Firetruck

Kazoo

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 00:58:53 »
It would be great if someone with expertise could weigh in on such topics...there are so many folks on this forum that know more than most of us will ever know about these great cars and the wonderful community they have created...

I wish there was a section that reviewed new products....these W113 parts sites have lots of great products which I certainly appreciate, but when they say "Like Original" in the case of the challenging firewall pad, what does that mean???  Is it the same material, or is it a different material that looks the same, or is it just close to the original look?? Who knows...???

For me, is its worth ripping out my original, but somewhat rough around the edges, dried out firewall pad?  I would love replace it with something in better but I just done know if I should.  If MB offered a NOS firewall pad I would just do it asap- no brain-er!

But if I put one of the "Like Original" versions from one of the part vendors, is it going to be a red flag....like  "Nice car but too bad you don't have a proper firewall pad?"

As they say "The Sky Is The Limit"

W

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 01:18:30 »
Ok, I will weigh into this discussion.

I was involved in putting together the Group fire wall pad production a couple of years ago.  The material used was as near to original as you can get and the lazer cutting was to the original drawings so was about the best available at that time. The others available then were all a course surface that looked, in my opinion, just terrible and nothing like the original whatsoever.  They are still being sold by some suppliers.

Benzrestorer at that time had just put together a replacement to try to match the original with the square indentations and started selling his new firewall pad that whilst not the original type material, never the less was a good reproduction.  Some here have used it and I believe one of the members actually won an award at one of the US MBCA shows with one.  I have seen the material and it is a 9/10 but I have not seen one fitted.

Bottom line, there is nothing as good as original if you want to keep your car all original and it is in reasonable shape. Other than finding someone that has held onto the Pagoda Group produced firewall pad to part with it, I believe Benzrestorers pad is about the best of the ‘others currently available’ at this point in time.

Garry
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

Kazoo

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 02:12:48 »
Thanks Garry for checking in.... I guess I'm wondering why one of these suppliers has not take the direction of the Group given that a process must have been set up to make the pads for the Group??  Maybe we should encourage one of them??

Can I ask you your opinion on how the version offered by Authentic Classics compares to the original?  in the photos it seems pretty original looking?? 

Thanks again for checking in...my original is far from perfect, but Im in the process of an engine bay re-spray and I doubt the original dried out article will come off in one piece and be able to go back on....so I'll be needing a new one, and at this point cost is not the issue given the endless hours I have into prepping that space for paint!

If I wasn't removing another 15" of snow today I could have made some good progress on the Pagoda!  Oh well I thank God that Honda made me a terrific snow thrower!

Cheers from snowy New England

ncsurfer

• Inactive
  • Senior
  • USA, NC, Raleigh
  • In good company!
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 03:03:12 »
Thanks to Garry and Kazoo...... I will make a decision on either benzrestorer or Authentic this week.
I also want to say that the Pagoda Group is fantastic! This group of people has helped me so much. It has caused me to move out of my comfort zone and tackle things on my 280 that I would never do on my own. The technical manual is a valuable tool and combined with help from member input around the world, it is "priceless". I am taking pictures through my restoration and will document certain areas in order to give back to the group and help others.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 05:11:24 by ncsurfer »
1964 MB L1113 Firetruck

ncsurfer

• Inactive
  • Senior
  • USA, NC, Raleigh
  • In good company!
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2015, 04:15:44 »
Hey, I have a question. Where does the Mercedes Classic Center get their firewall pads?
1964 MB L1113 Firetruck

Garry

• Platinum
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2015, 05:58:37 »
Alfred (66andBlue) found some of the original material.  It was in a very limited suply and we took everything that was available and made as many as we could in both Left and Right hand.

I had a look at Authentic Classics and also MB Classic Centre and they all now appear to have the same one that was put out originally by Benzrestorer so I guess it is all down to price.

Garry
Garry Marks
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200

Kazoo

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2015, 20:33:10 »
This is great...so now we have two excellent suppliers that are supplying a firewall pad that is worth giving up an old original tattered version for!

I like that, thanks to all....

W

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2015, 09:35:46 »
I've said this before but in the interest of safety I will say it again.  The waffle firewall pads are made out of flammable material. Whether it is original or reproduction please be sure it is well attached to the firewall as the exhaust pipes are very close to the firewall and a pad that slips down could be a danger.  This is especially important for those of us who's original pads were mounted with a layer of foam between the firewall and the pad. Mine was nearly completely detached from the firewall with the foam being essentially dust when I removed it during my restoration.

My suspicion is that is why Mercedes does not sell the reproduction style pads but rather has chosen a more rubber like material that reduces the risk of a chunk falling off.

Kazoo

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2015, 12:17:03 »
Thanks for the heads up, I have seen the new Authentic Classic Pad and it looks quite nice to me.  I wondering if a heat gun might be the best way to shape and mould it into place....

AND, wondering what it will look like underneath when I take the old one off....How to prep the surface...I'm imagine there will be glue spread all around under the pad...

Garry

• Platinum
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2015, 20:28:50 »
We got a bit of the new type firewall and I tried to burn it.  It will not ‘catch fire’ just bubbles up a bit but no actual self burning.

With the old Fire Wall pad removed you then need to throughly clean the glues off the firewall before fixing on the new one.  We have a product here, I think called Goop Off but you would have a similar product there that removes old glue etc that is just a solvent.
Garry Marks
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200

rutger kohler

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • New Zealand, Auckland, Auckland
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2015, 20:45:24 »
I got a RHD firewall pad from authentic classic for Xmas and have since fitted it. The pattern looks very authentic and I did not need any extra adhesive.  I also did not need to heat it but it is best to have two people to fit it on.  My wife managed this and what she did was fit it up as much as possible with the backing paper still on. I found there was no hole for the id tag on the firewall on the RHD one and also some of the holes needed to be enlarged so it was very important to make sure we were happy with the fit before we removed the backing paper.  Once we were happy my wife had me hold the bulk of the pad as she gradually worked the backing paper off and molded/glued the pad on.  The adhesive is so good there is little chance to rectify screwups. I was happy she was in charge!
1969 280 SL Manual gear shift
1972 280SE 3.5 auto