Author Topic: Maxilite 15" x 7" Bundt Replica wheels  (Read 23141 times)

GGR

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, DC, Washington
Maxilite 15" x 7" Bundt Replica wheels
« on: November 30, 2014, 17:17:33 »
Maxilite is offering Replica 15 x 7 Bundt wheels at 140 Euros a piece:  http://shop.maxilite.ch/index.php?page=product&info=149
The price includes Swiss 19% VAT so I guess they can be had for cheaper if buyer is out of Switzerland. But then there is shipping and import taxes if applicable in buyer's country.

They mention ET to be 11. I think this is a mistake as it should be 23. They also look to be a bit lighter than what they were back in the day. There is a discussion about these wheels here: http://www.m-100.cc/forum/topic.asp?whichpage=1&TOPIC_ID=8347&

If quality is good, it may be a good deal given what used 40 year old (MB or aftermarket like ATS) go for. 15 x 7 wheels with 215/60-15 tires like I have are a drastic improvement in terms of handling.

I have no affiliation.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 17:53:00 by GGR »

lurtch

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Santa Rosa
  • " ICON 66 "
Re: Maxilite 15" x 7" Bundt Replica wheels
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 17:21:51 »
Thanks GGR!  I have been shopping for 15 In Bundts for some time now. The ones currently on eBay are too expensive.

Clicking over to that site now - -

Larry in CA
Larry Hemstreet  in  N. Cal.

1966  230SL  Met. Anthracite w/ Maroon leather
1981  300TDT (Concours, 86K w/ GETRAG 5sp)
1982  300TDT (rough and rusty)
1986  560SEC (totaled)
1991  300TE (gifted)
1998  E320 (sold)
2004  E320 wagon (gifted)
2008  CLK550 cabriolet

tirronen

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 17:14:07 »
These are now available shipped from US.
www.maxilite-wheels.com

UJJ

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Grass Valley
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 18:48:12 »
And this is how they look installed
Urban Janssen
Grass Valley, CA
1968 280 SL - 4speed manual
173 anthracite grey

Iconic

• Platinum
  • USA, IL, Highland Park
  • ex-Membership Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 19:08:16 »
Urban,
WOW, those wheels .... with the tires and ride height of your car look FANTASTIC !!
1970 280 SL Automatic, USA version, Grey-Blue (906G/906G), Blue leather (245)
1968 SS396 Camaro Convertible (owned since 1977 -- my first car :D)
1984 Porsche Euro Carrera coupe, LSD, SlateBlueMet/Blue
1998 BMW M-Rdstr Estoril Blue
1970 280 SL Automatic, Anthracite Grey-173G, Red Interior-132 - sold

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 22:34:30 »
Urban....,

Just fantastic ...!
Love it ! ;) 8)

Best,
Achim

Achim
(Germany)

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 23:58:50 »
Are the Maxilights forged like the Fuchs Bundt wheels?

GGR

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, DC, Washington
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2016, 02:23:22 »
Very nice! What size are these tires?

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2016, 15:09:50 »
15" tires are probably getting to be as hard to find as 14", so heck--I'd try to find something in the 16" diameter, if only for tire availability!
Every time I leave Costco, I see piles of what look like very small tires...and I always check the size, and the smallest of them is 16".  Many "small" cars today are even equipped with 16" and 17" diameter tires, even if the overall tire size is somewhat smaller than our 14".
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

UJJ

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Grass Valley
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2016, 12:22:17 »
I have mounted Michelin Premier A/S 205/65R15
Love them, Urban
Urban Janssen
Grass Valley, CA
173 anthracite grey

PagodaMafia

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2016, 14:28:46 »
Hello All, i bought a set from Markus @ Maxlite. Were delivered in around 1 week to my door. Fitted 195/65 15s Continental Contact 2 Tires and wow what a difference from the steel rims.. maybe not a pretty or period correct but who cares. however be mindful you will need to buy the center pieces which from Mercedes Australia is around 200 AUD delivered. Will post some additional pics soon.

PIP1947

• Inactive
  • Regular
  • Australia, New South Wales, Darling Point
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2016, 23:20:30 »
Hi Pagoda Mafia. Interesting that your Maxilites arrived within one week. Markus referred me to the Maxilite Australiian agent, who says I should have my new wheels some time in January - very slow. I look forward to seeing more pictures of your new wheels and maybe even the car itself, as you are not far away from my location in Darling Point. I think the Maxilites look fantastic. $200 for the centre caps is ridiculous, however, so I will buy some after market items on eBay.
Regards
Pip1947

PIP1947

• Inactive
  • Regular
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2016, 23:51:34 »
Hi Pagoda Mafia. A further query for you. What made you choose the Comtinental Contacts? I have been looking at 205 x 15 tyres for the Maxilites, when they arrive, wondering which would offer the best all round performance and ride, especially in the wet. Also, where did you source the Contis and how much? I may choose the same supplier.
Regards
Pip1947

hauser

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2016, 03:29:41 »
I went with the same as Urban is using 205/65/15 Michelin.

BTW Mechatronik is also running this size tire.

PIP1947

• Inactive
  • Regular
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2017, 05:59:03 »
Hi all

Thanks to GGR for the tip on these Maxilite 14" wheels. I was about to spend quite a bit of money having my 14" Bundt wheels refurbished and have, instead, now purchased a set of 15" repro's. Much better value. Thanks also to Hauser, Urban and Pagoda Mafia for sharing outcomes and choices.

In selecting tyres, my first instinct is to follow the example set by Hauser and Urban ie 205x65 R15, which leaves my overall wheel and tyre diameter unchanged, at 25.5 inches. Interesting also that Hauser reports Mechatronk is using the same size - this is a very good indicator.

Before making a final decision, however, I would like to know why GGR has opted for 215x60 R15 tyres. Lower profile and more rubber on the road, obviously, but a small (1.2%) loss of diameter. I wonder if there is a price to pay for the wider, 60 profile tyres, in the form of rubbing against the body work? 60 profile would be nice, but I would have to go to 225's to maintain my 25.5" overall diameter.
Regards
Pip 1947

GGR

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, DC, Washington
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2017, 06:42:31 »
Hi Pip,

in my case, the 215x60-15 dimension is a compromise. As you may know, my car is mechanically quite a bit modified (story here: https://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?board=18.0). My first objective is performance oriented, and the second one is to retain a look as close as possible to stock. I first tried to fit the wheels that are on my w111 Coupe which are equipped with 225x60-15 tires. but they were slightly rubbing on the rear inner fenders when the wheel was lifted to the maximum, and on the front fender lip when the wheel was fully turned outwards and lifted to the maximum. the 215x60-15 tires still rub a bit on the front lip in the same conditions, but I went ahead with them as such a situation may never occur in real life. Some have fitted even wider tires, as you will see in this discussion: https://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=15521.msg147934#msg147934

I would be curious to know if the 205x65-15 tires do clear the front fender lip when the wheel is fully turned outwards and lifted to the maximum. the tire is a bit narrower, but also a bit taller.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 06:53:48 by GGR »

PIP1947

• Inactive
  • Regular
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2017, 13:01:03 »
Hi GGR
I see what you mean about 'performance orientation'. That's quite a car you have and I fully understand why you might want to push the boundaries with tyre width and profile. As you have already observed, however, the ultimate limiting factor for you will be the Pagoda swing axle rear end. If you can find a way to adapt a modern multi link set up, you will have a world beater! It is a tribute to the superb Ulenhaut design and engineering that the 113 chassis can successfully adapt to 5.6 litre power, while retaining the car's original poise and balance.

We will have to ask Hauser and Urban about clearance with the 205 x 65 R15 tyres. As you say, they are a little taller than the 215 x 60 R15's. I am committed to the 15 inch rims now, so I hope the 205 x 65's have full clearance. I am hoping that they will give me better braking performance, especially in the wet, as well as improved road holding.

I share your interest in old aeroplanes and try to get to air vintage air shows whenever I can. New Zealand offers some of the best, especially the biennial Easter show in Blenheim, where you can see great flying displays of WW1 and WW2 aircraft. A very expensive hobby indeed!

I will let you know about wheel clearance once I have fitted my new wheels. Fingers crossed!
Pip 1947

UJJ

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Grass Valley
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2017, 14:24:50 »
Hi GRR & Pip

I was afraid they would rub under your described condition, either on the fender but more possible on the torsion bar mounting. Especially because Gernold (SLTech) told me that this might be the case. Therefore, after they were installed, I really tried to create this condition, to a point that the car trail braked during these hard turns, but I could not get the tires to rub.
The only thing I noticed though is that the inner wall of the tire is very close to the brake hose when the car is suspended on my lift and the suspension is totally unloaded. Since this would be a very unusual driving condition I was not worried about it. Anyhow, I tested it by marking the brake hose in the possible area of contact and looked if it rubbed the marking off. It did not, so no further action was taken. The brake hoses are MB stock.
Urban

Urban Janssen
Grass Valley, CA
173 anthracite grey

GGR

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, DC, Washington
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2017, 15:40:52 »
Hi Pip,

Indeed, the swing axle is a limiting factor, though I pushed the boundaries by quite a lot by stiffening the suspension and linkages, and by improving the weight distribution. I considered fitting a W124 rear end, as it has already been done on W111s. But this requires modifying the shell of the car, when none of my modifications did (all are reversible and the car can be put back to original if someone wishes so one day). And hey, the 300 SL Gullwing, the first supercar ever made, has exactly the same problem. So why being more catholic than the pope? I just need to adopt the same driving style which consists of always being on the gas pedal in corners, and never lift it in the middle of it.

Indeed I love planes. Years ago, I happened to pilot a plane for two hours over Tanzania in particular circumstances. Luckily the pilot recovered sufficiently to land the plane. This motivated me even more to pass a licence, which I still have to do. Colin, alias Stickandrudderman on this board, flies vintage planes.

Urban, I doubt you can have a front wheel fully turned outwards and its suspension fully compressed in normal driving circumstances. And if you do, I bet the rubbing will be the least of your concerns! To reach such a situation, I backed a rear wheel on a steep ramp and then steered the opposite front wheel outwards to the maximum. 
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 17:00:11 by GGR »

PagodaMafia

Re: Maxilite 15" x 7" Bundt Replica wheels - pic of the wheels
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2017, 08:32:49 »
Hi All took the little one out for long drive this afternoon. Wheels are amazing but perhaps combination of  continental tyres and maxlites are also making a massive difference on varied road surfaces and winding roads...attach is pic of the wheels now that the centre caps have been fitted...more pics and videos to come in the next week once

PIP1947

• Inactive
  • Regular
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2017, 06:19:48 »
Hi GGR
I agree with you about the tyre clearance. It is an unlikely real world situation, whereby the steering would be on full lock and the springs at maximum compression. If that situation occurs, there will indeed be worse things to worry about! When my new wheels finally arrive, I will opt for the 205x65 R15 tyres.

Violent oversteer induced by sudden weight transfer is the main handling issue, as you say, so avoiding heavy mid-corner braking is crucial. The problem is much more pronounced with the 300SL, by virtue of the latter's higher axle pivot point. The system was improved considerably on the Pagodas. As long as you keep that right foot planted you should be ok, so I suppose the key is to not enter a corner with too much speed on. That way, you can get on the power early.

The other 'limiting factor' for your car's top speed might be aerodynamics. With such a tall rear end and 5.6 litre power, your potential top speed should be much, much higher. The Pagoda, however, has a very high coefficient of drag, thanks to Ulenhaut's view that speeds above 120MPH were largely irrelevant in 1960s traffic and road conditions. A lot of your extra power will go to overcoming the aerodynamic drag with that tall rear end.

If you like old aeroplanes, I recommend a display weekend at Duxford, Cambridgeshire, where the sound of Rolls Royce Merlins and Bristol Centaurus radials will make your hair stand on end. For a 'hands on' engineer such as yourself, the workshops will also be a source of great interest and pleasure.

Cheers
PIP1947

GGR

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, DC, Washington
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2017, 07:26:33 »
My car reached 180 mph on the rolling road, as reported here:

https://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=15521.msg141234#msg141234

I guess it could reach a good 160 mph in real life conditions. The 2.82:1 rear end ratio with a .81 5th have the car cruising at 2500 rpm at 80 mph, which is great to cross the US. The car is more of a GT than an all out sports car, and the current ratio is quite well adapted to the toque curve of the engine. My W111 Coupe has a shorter stroke 5.0L engine with more aggressive camshafts and the 3:27 rear end it is equipped with is right for the car.

I would love to  attend the display weekend at Duxford at the occasion. Talking of Duxford and Merlins, I bet Alain de Cadenet will never forget this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iOoiEbtf2w

When I was living in Paris, I was visiting la Ferte Alais quite often. Among others, they have a Yak of the Normandie Niemen squadron in which one of my great uncles was a pilot.

PIP1947

• Inactive
  • Regular
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2017, 12:28:18 »
Hi GGR. Fabulous head on shot of the Spit. I was present at the '96 and '98 (or '99?) July shows at Duxford and had the privilege of watching Ray Hanna. His hair raising displays would not be allowed today, so I feel very fortunate to have seen them.  The best days are often the Thursday/Friday practice days preceding the weekend show and it n 98 or 99, I witnessed an extraordinary practice session by Ray. He took off in a Mark XIV Spit in photo reconnosance livery, all silver wings, and flew well away. Gradually climbing to around 15K feet. I saw the sun sparkle on his wings as he turned back towards Duxford but didn't pick him up until about a mile out, at very low altitude and full speed - probably about 450 mph at th end of a long, flat dive. He flew straight along the runway at that speed and at zero feet - no more than a wingspan - before pulling straight up and disappearing skyward. He then proceeded to do his wonderful full routine. I'll never forget it - just me and about 50 other enthusiasts who turned up early to see U meeting with GL and I at 10.30?hat we could see. The sound of the RR Griffon at full song is something you never forget. I can feel a return visit coming on soon.
Pip1947

PIP1947

• Inactive
  • Regular
Re: Maxilite 15" x 7" Bundt Replica wheels - pic of the wheels
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2017, 00:06:28 »
Hi All took the little one out for long drive this afternoon. Wheels are amazing but perhaps combination of  continental tyres and maxlites are also making a massive difference on varied road surfaces and winding roads...attach is pic of the wheels now that the centre caps have been fitted...more pics and videos to come in the next week once

Hi Pagoda Mafia. I'm pleased to hear your new tyres performed well, as I am hoping for significantly better wet weather handling and braking with the lower profile, wider 15 inch tyres. My wheels are yet to arrive, but it shouldn't be long. Your new centre caps look great. Where did you source those?
Pip1947

PIP1947

• Inactive
  • Regular
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2017, 22:25:36 »
Hi all. Goldie now has her new 15" Maxilites. I'm very pleased with the appearance, ride and handling. Most noticeable improvement is more positive steering with 65 profile tyres. I'm looking forward to a wet day to test the lower profile Michelins on wet roads. The 15" wheels look very similar to the 14" Bundts they replace, so the car looks pretty much the same as it did. Pictures attached.
Cheers
Pip1947

PagodaMafia

« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2017, 03:45:28 »
The caps came from Mercedes Benz Australia.. 30 AUD each but they look perfect. I just installed a 6 spd from firm in Poland owned by a German engineer. With the new Maxlite coupled with the new gear box the car drives like a new sports car.. astonishing lift to acceleration performance and handling. Of the line will leave many modern cars in its dust. The cabin is also notably cooler due to next to zero heat transfer loss that was catastrophic in the sluggish 4 speed auto.  @ 120km the car is sooo quiet until you put the foot into it. In case anyone is Australia is interested all the engineering Alex and Julian from from Silverstar Workshop in Kingsgrove, NSW Australia. They have a brilliant team.

PIP1947

• Inactive
  • Regular
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2017, 13:02:11 »
Hi Pagoda Maria. Your 6 speed gearbox sounds interesting. Is it auto or manual and what are the origins of the transmission unit? Most modern autos are too large to fit the Pagoda, so I would like to know about this option. Cheers.
Pip1947

PagodaMafia

« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2017, 11:23:39 »
Hi Pip, wheels look great.

ChrisZeiss

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2020, 19:53:09 »
Hello Fellow Pagoda Passionates -

I am also considering switching from std. steel rims 14x5.5" to the MaxiLite Barock 15x7" - could you help me with the weight of the MaxiLite 15x7" rims please ?

I've tried emailing MaxiLite three times - and get no response.

Thanks,

Chris Zeiss

Edmonton, Alberta

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2020, 00:45:55 »
I guess I'm the only one who thinks that they look WAY too big...
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2020, 01:06:12 »
Not the only one.  Maybe if you are just trying to lighten the weight from Steel rims then why not just go with the aluminium ones that i believe save around 10lb per wheel. Scoot or JA17 would know the differences.
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2020, 14:46:59 »
.. just go with the aluminium ones that i believe save around 10lb per wheel. Scoot or JA17 would know the differences.
11 pounds for the aluminum steelie, 23 pounds for a steel wheel.
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

UJJ

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Grass Valley
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2020, 13:33:36 »
Good looks or not. For me it also was a better, much larger choice of tires available for the 15" rims versus 14". And the handling of the car.
Best, Urban
Urban Janssen
Grass Valley, CA
173 anthracite grey