Author Topic: hood gap from unmolested car?  (Read 8282 times)

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
hood gap from unmolested car?
« on: November 19, 2014, 03:22:34 »
Hi all,
Can anyone give me a measurement of the hood gaps on all four sides of an unmolested car? My painter called tonight and apparently during the baking process of the body before e-coating the hood gaps on the middle of the sides may have opened up a bit. he is wondering what factory gaps should be?

49er

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
Re: hood gap from unmolested car?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 04:14:34 »
Here are four pictures showing measurements for my hood #1 drivers side #2 rear #3 front # 4 passenger side. Hood is tighter in the back and driver's side but looks like .125" would be a good number to shoot for. They did a pretty good job back in those pre laser years :)

John
1969 280SL 003820
Un Restored, All Original, including the paint
Original Owner, Purchased September 18, 1968
4 speed manual, PS. 77217 miles
7280 miles since awoken from her 20+ yr "nap" in 2010

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 04:15:21 »
I would tell him this ...

Measure both sides then add the values and divide by two that should be your gap all around (or left and right anyway) ... plus minus some tolerance I would think. Front and back may be different then side to side.

This should help I hope ... he has to use what he has unless your hood shrank ~grin~ side to side adjustment can be done up front were the hood is secured. Back to front there is no adjustment as I recall.

Good luck~
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 04:20:06 by Rolf-Dieter »
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

mbzse

• Platinum
  • Sweden, Stockholm, Stockholm
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 09:32:03 »
Quote from: Shvegel
.../...Can anyone give me a measurement of the hood gaps on all four sides of an unmolested car?.../...what [the] factory gaps should be
According to the M-B factory bodywork instruction manual, gaps should be 4 or 5 mm. This varies due to where on the body the gap is situated.
/Hans in Sweden

/Hans S

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 06:45:56 »
Actually what happened is when the car was baked in a pyrolytic oven the front fenders spread ever so slightly so the formerly perfect hood gaps were now too wide. Regardless he was able to fabricate some holding fixtures and pull it back in so all is well.

Thanks for the replies!