Author Topic: Help needed. Procedure to remove Kuhlmeister air conditioner.  (Read 3227 times)

Fdevita

Thanks in advance. 
Does anyone have the procedure for removal of a Kuhlmeister AC from a 1966 230SL.  I want to remove everything.

BBirdyCAGirl

Re: Help needed. Procedure to remove Kuhlmeister air conditioner.
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 08:37:23 »
Sorry I don't have advice to remove the AC but would be interested in purchasing it from you if you do remove it and all its parts and it is in working condition. 

Let me know if you want to sell it as I have a 1965 230sl and want to install an original AC unit in it. Send me a PM if interested.

Thanks much,
Bernadette

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 13:54:25 »
Does anyone have the procedure for removal of a Kuhlmeister AC from a 1966 230SL.  I want to remove everything.
I can only speak to the under-dash portion of the AC.  If you get in the passenger seat upside-down such that your head is looking up from the footwell and your feet are sort of over the seat back and your back is VERY upset about what you are doing to it, and then look up at the underside of the Kuhlmeister.  I think you will see a few little round vents or capped of spaces along the lower edge, maybe an inch back from the face of the unit.  You need to remove those.  Then you need a long screwdriver and you need to look into the openings and see what I think are phillips head screws that are connecting the top portion of the Kuhlmeister to the underside of the dash.  If you take those screws out I think the whole thing pivots down.

There are other places that it is connected but if you get those it should be easier to find them.  Hoses to disconnect, refrigerant to contaminate the environment, etc. 

I don't remember why I had to do this in my car, might have had something to do with installing a radio...  It's worse re-installing it than dropping it down.
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

Fdevita

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 18:50:43 »
Thanks Scoot,

However, the screws are not there, they are much further out to each side and not accessible through any pre-cut holes or spaces.  Does the fascia come off the unit (the fascia being the plastic piece that goes across the entire unit and has the vents and switches and such on it)?  I am thinking that I can gain access to the screws with the fascia off maybe.

I tried accessing the passenger side screw/bolt (?) from behind the glove box but it goes into a covered metal frame area with no access.

Has anyone else run into this issue of the screws not being in the pre-made access holes?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 19:53:43 by Fdevita »