Author Topic: New member, old car  (Read 9418 times)

iBison

New member, old car
« on: December 09, 2014, 20:56:58 »
This isn't a spotted, this is our car and I just want to say hi and a little about the car and to learn more about these.

The car is a 66 that my grandparents bought new and took delivery at the factory. My grandfather's family was German and he loved Mercedes. They drove it around Europe and then had it shipped home. This was my grandfathers special car, he had other Mercedes, but this was the only one he never parted with. I highly doubt it was ever driven in snow, or bad weather with the exception of some rain and it was always kept inside. When he retired he gave it to one of his daughters who rarely if ever drove it. Her son drove it some. Some time later she gave it back to him. He had it repainted sometime while he owned it, but other than that it is original. Later on he gave it to my father. I remember riding in the back of it into town to pick up a few things from the store. I love the color and the car. We still have the German license plate and lots of paperwork. I don't know what it's worth, but I'm almost afraid to drive it and have someone hit it or something. It's got a little over 100k on it I believe.

Bonnyboy

• Gold
  • Canada, BC, North Vancouver
  • 1969 280sl Euro 4sp LSD
Re: New member, old car
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 21:23:17 »
Welcome.  Very nice car and its nice to have the history etc.  Black on Black with a white steering wheel - doesn't get much classier than that.   

Enjoy and by all means drive it.  Life is short.  Some cars get hit, some cars don't get hit.   Be careful with your car and your driving and hopefully you will be around as long as you want.     These cars are meant to be driven so get out and enjoy.   

There is tons of info on this site and I'm sure that you will notice quickly that it is one of the best organized forums anywhere on the www.   I am on several forums ranging from watches and kitchen knives to vintage bicycles to harleys and britsh motorcycles.  This forum is by far the best I have encountered so far.   
Ian
69 280SL
65 F-100
73 CB750K
75 MGB
78 FLH
82 CB750SC
94 FLHTCU
08 NPS50

49er

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 21:39:06 »
Hello iBison,
 Great story and a beautiful looking car and all the better because it has been in your family all it's life. I know what you mean about driving as there is always a risk when out on the road but like Bonnyboy said, these cars are happy when driven (but maybe not during Illinois winters:-). Worth is also hard to evaluate as I am sure it is Priceless to you.
 This Forum provides an extraordinary amount of information about these wonderful automobiles and we always happy to see another Pagoda owner join our group.

John
1969 280SL 003820
Un Restored, All Original, including the paint
Original Owner, Purchased September 18, 1968
4 speed manual, PS. 77217 miles
7280 miles since awoken from her 20+ yr "nap" in 2010

iBison

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 22:00:01 »
Welcome.  Very nice car and its nice to have the history etc.  Black on Black with a white steering wheel - doesn't get much classier than that.   

Enjoy and by all means drive it.  Life is short.  Some cars get hit, some cars don't get hit.   Be careful with your car and your driving and hopefully you will be around as long as you want.     These cars are meant to be driven so get out and enjoy.   

There is tons of info on this site and I'm sure that you will notice quickly that it is one of the best organized forums anywhere on the www.   I am on several forums ranging from watches and kitchen knives to vintage bicycles to harleys and britsh motorcycles.  This forum is by far the best I have encountered so far.   

It's actually the beautiful dark maroon color with the tan interior. It was just at sunset so the color didn't show well.

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 23:46:30 »
Welcome iBison to our Pagoda SL Group community, not much to add what Bonnyboy and John so clearly stated. I can only confirm that this car loves to hum along the highway and be driven all day long, I took mine on a 1,600 mile round trip last year all the way to Williamsburg, VA for the 50 year aneversary celebrations and it was a pleasure to drive every mile along the way. Many other Members here took long drives last year as well. So enjoy your car it is a wonderful looking car and thanks for sharing your story with us.

Always safe travels and again welcome iBison!
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 03:43:08 »
Indeed, welcome to the group. Where in Illinois are you? I am a reformed Midwesterner (born and raised north of Peoria), then to Louisville, Ky, then 17 years in NE Ohio (Hudson) and now in Southern California. Great story about the car. As the others have said, we are ready, willing, and mostly able to jump in to assist with you to keep the car on the road and humming along.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

iBison

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 14:00:29 »
Indeed, welcome to the group. Where in Illinois are you? I am a reformed Midwesterner (born and raised north of Peoria), then to Louisville, Ky, then 17 years in NE Ohio (Hudson) and now in Southern California. Great story about the car. As the others have said, we are ready, willing, and mostly able to jump in to assist with you to keep the car on the road and humming along.

In the C-U area, been here always.

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 15:56:17 »
Very familiar with that area, undergraduate degree (chem eng) from Illinois
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, JACKSONVILLE
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2014, 19:18:25 »
Greetings!  Welcome to the forum. 
Please don't deny the rest of the world the joy of seeing that beautiful car rolling down the road.  The real value of the car is the joy it can bring you, the friends you'll make and, the lessons you'll learn about the fine mechanical engineering of these machines.  So get a good collector car insurance policy like Hagerty, Heacock, or Grundy and drive.  I hope you'll find the information here valuable enough to become a full member and that you'll bring your car and your stories to a group event somewhere this year.
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

iBison

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2014, 04:12:17 »
Thanks for all of the welcomes, it looks like a great community here!

Rothko

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • USA, FL, Palm Beach
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2014, 20:05:00 »
Welcome!

I agree with the others.  These cars are meant to be driven.  In fact, I am of the opinion that you do a disservice to the car by not driving it on a fairly regular basis.

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2014, 01:57:37 »
Welcome to the Group.  Lovely 230SL and a wonderful family history! I have a soft spot for them myself...

Do take it out and exercise it on some regular basis year-round, weather and salt-free roads permitting.  The Fuel Injection Pump does not tolerate allowing stale fuel (particularly the modern ethanol "enhanced" junk) to lurk within for long - running it will save you a pre-mature and expensive rebuild.
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

iBison

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2014, 02:48:11 »
Thanks for the info.

iBison

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2014, 02:51:15 »
Where do you guys go to to find a value for your cars? I was thinking this would be in the 25-30 range, but I see them listed on Hemmings int he 40-65 range. I don't know any place in town that would know enough to evaluate it.