Author Topic: engine grounding  (Read 3222 times)

nahuston

engine grounding
« on: September 15, 2014, 13:47:24 »
I have two ground straps coming off the front of the engine - both are currently disconnected. One has what looks like a big condensor attached to it. Any idea where the grounds are supposed to go and what the condensor is?

garymand

• Inactive
  • Gold
  • USA, CA, Meadow Vista
Re: engine grounding
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 17:08:34 »
Picture?  The only condenser I know of is at the distributor and there is a braided groundstrap near there on a head bolt that should go top the frame near the battery.
Gary
Early 250SL German version owned since 71, C320, R350, 89 Porsche 944 Turbo S

nahuston

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 20:36:59 »
I have two braided ground straps from the head bolt. One the end is broken off on (I assume this is supposed to go to the frame). The other is attached to this condensor looking thing (its about twice the size of the condensor on the distributor). It had a little wire coming out of it but that broke off when I grabbed it.

garymand

• Inactive
  • Gold
  • USA, CA, Meadow Vista
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 22:21:24 »
Wow!  That is really funny.  It looks like the braid is no going to the case but going to the end post?  Maybe I looked too quick.  You are right it is a big capacitor, but it doesn't belong there.  Maybe somebody was trying to reduce AM radio noise 20 years ago and took that out of a grayhound bus or Mack truck.  You should have a 50% smaller version of that thing screwed to the distributor with that end terminal soldered to a solid coper wire with green or black insulation going to the points screw terminal on the distributor. 

Not that the big hunk would not do the same thing, its just 2X bigger and hard to mount anywhere and if the braid goes to the end terminal, it is hard to insulate.
Gary
Early 250SL German version owned since 71, C320, R350, 89 Porsche 944 Turbo S

nahuston

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 22:40:37 »
ha - ok as long as it is not supposed to belong there I will remove it and attach the braid to the frame. The distributor has a proper condensor and is working properly. Thanks for the help.