Author Topic: Is there a fuel "one way" valve ?  (Read 3640 times)

Paul99

• Silver
  • United Kingdom, England, Hampshire UK
  • 230 SL White. 1966.
Is there a fuel "one way" valve ?
« on: September 22, 2014, 12:48:29 »
When I first start my 230, I have found waiting with the ignition on for 30 secs or so before starting, it seems to start far easier.  It could be the fuel pump is a bit tired, or a red herring re easier starting.  Car runs perfectly fuel wise once started.

I was thinking, is there a "one way" valve which would stop the fuel falling back, so the fuel line is always primed? Or is it normal for the pump to need a few seconds to get the fuel fully delivered?

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: Is there a fuel "one way" valve ?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 14:30:57 »
Paul,

What you experience is completely, 100% normal.

When you turn on the ignition, the fuel pump at the rear of the car by the fuel tank begins to pump, and circulates the fuel in a loop from the pump, through the lines, to the fuel injection pump in the engine compartment, and back to the fuel tank. Leaving the pump on for a few moments prior to engaging the starter allows this system to build pressure and volume flow.

I don't think you need to re-engineer the system.  ;)
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

garymand

• Inactive
  • Gold
  • USA, CA, Meadow Vista
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 16:01:25 »
There may well be a one-way valve effect in the dampener/regulator on the later motors.  The diaphram works against a spring that sets up a back presssure.  And I think you are thinking down the right path.  If you have a leak, as maybe in the cold start valve solenoid, the back pressure is lost and it might take a few more turns of the pump to fully pressurize the fuel lines. 

I have notice occasionally when I let the car rest for a few weeks, it takes a little longer for the pump to reach full pressure.  It is maybe 2 seconds where you can hear the frequency of the pump whine change as the pump brings the pressure up.  It could also be the pump is overcoming stiction/friction after sitting for weeks.

When mine is daily driven, I don't hear the pump free wheeling with no back pressure at starts.  And usually, I can go for maybe a week or more before noticing change in pitch.  I'm also saying I have noticed it and now wait often to hear the pump and get that satisfying feeling that it should ignite instantainiously.

When I have had some delay in ignition, it has been due to my misadjustment of the idle or warm up device.  When the system is setup correctly, its a joy to have the motor start like a new car.  Conversely, when something isn't right, it is a really downer to have it turn and turn with ought starting.   
Gary
Early 250SL German version owned since 71, C320, R350, 89 Porsche 944 Turbo S

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 19:35:46 »
Paul, I believe there is a valve in the fuel pump itself (the one at the back) that prevents the fuel from flowing back into the tank when the pump is not running.
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 21:02:07 »
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that the valve fitting towards the rear of the pump acts more as a restrictor and is responsible for building pressure on the supply line. Could also act as a check valve.
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe
'70 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6

Paul99

• Silver
  • United Kingdom, England, Hampshire UK
  • 230 SL White. 1966.
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 13:43:36 »
OK, many thanks guys.  I do only use the car every week or so, so the 20 secs or so  delay with the pump running before starting seems a good idea, and is no hardship.

its been a great summer here and had some great drives in the car including LeMans Classic weekend where I had a chance to drive the circuit just before the race started!  Its a lovely elegant car to drive as you guys know !  I was lucky to be able to buy it some 3 years ago before the prices went mad and out of my reach.  Hope to keep it until I cant manage to get in or out of it without a hoist!

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 01:08:17 »
Check valve at the outlet of the fuel pump and each of the 6 delivery valves under the outlet fittings of the injection pump. Combined with the fuel injectors holding pressure at rest and the delivery valves acting as a check valve on the inlet the individual lines should each remain under pressure at rest.