Author Topic: Replacement trunk/ boot lid  (Read 5382 times)

spraydav

Replacement trunk/ boot lid
« on: May 14, 2014, 21:59:12 »
I am currently in the process of replacing the boot/ trunk lid on a '62 230sl with a new genuine item purchased from Germany. As with the bonnet, the boot has been trimmed and filed to fit the car and now sits nicely in position with good gaps.
 My query is this- I prepared the boot today, it is dead straight with no filler or repairs required, (as you would expect from a genuine Mercedes part) and applied a couple of coats of Glasurit primer/ surfacer, when the paint was wet it highlighted the spotwelds around the edge of the panel where the inner and outer skins are joined, these are on the top face, approx 10mm apart all around the edge and very shallow, but you can notice them. I was about to start blocking them out but thought I would check to see if I should leave them for originality??
Coincidentally, I was in a friends garage last week and he has a 300se convertible in at the moment and I noticed the same spotweld issue on on this car also.

Does anyone have an original, unmolested factory finish boot/ trunk lid which they could have a look and see if the welds are visible, like I said, they are only very shallow but if you catch them in a certain light you can see them.

I'll try and take some pics and post them, any input gratefully accepted, Dave

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
Re: Replacement trunk/ boot lid
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 16:48:41 »
Dave,

Just went to take a look at the trunk/boot lid on my 280 SL. As far as I know (have all the records) the lid has not been painted. I can see the spot welds on the underside, but the top is completely smooth, no hint from the outside that there are spot welds.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

spraydav

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 09:11:26 »
That's great thanks, I did suspect that but thought I'd check before goimg ahead

spraydav

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 22:27:15 »
Pics of bootlid replacement

spraydav

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 22:29:18 »
MB label

spraydav

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 22:31:07 »
Factory repair on underside of new bootlid

spraydav

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 22:33:27 »
Spotwelds on outer of bootlid highlighted by primer guidecoat, a little more flatting with a block and they disappeared

spraydav

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 22:37:37 »
Not a bad looking car park at our workshop today!! :D
www.matchboxrestorations.co.uk

spraydav

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 22:46:05 »
Oversize section of bootlid taped off prior to trimming

spraydav

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 22:48:25 »
Initial trimming with soft pad grinder- finished by hand with file...scary stuff on a £1100 panel!!

spraydav

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2014, 22:50:21 »
Rear-end repainted

spraydav

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2014, 22:52:34 »
Nice gaps with bootlid sitting flush  :D