Author Topic: Dash wood supplier - Europe. Recommendations?  (Read 4891 times)

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
Dash wood supplier - Europe. Recommendations?
« on: February 03, 2014, 19:19:12 »
As per the title.

A good friend has a pagoda (bought from another good friend here) and wishes to replace the dash wood. I thought I was onto a supplier, but that hasn't panned out. I know SLS do it, but some have suggested that it's not brilliant - though I'm open to comments to the contrary.

Can anyone help with recommendations, at all? Europe really, since the car is the UK and importing is a hassle I don't want.

Thanks.

JH
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: Dash wood supplier - Europe. Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 19:26:44 »
importing is a hassle I don't want.

Just how difficult is it to "import" a package? I have sent and received goods in both directions, and if it goes by postal service it's a snap; only marginally challenging if it is large, very expensive (more than $2,500) and or goes by freight.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 19:36:21 »
Is the old wood beyond salvage?
If not I have a couple of wood sets in stock for exchange BUT they are in high gloss, one is dark rosewood and one is in walnut. Personally I really like the walnut but purists hate it!

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 19:48:45 »
Just how difficult is it to "import" a package? I have sent and received goods in both directions, and if it goes by postal service it's a snap; only marginally challenging if it is large, very expensive (more than $2,500) and or goes by freight.

Michael, is your point that I'm being weak, (which I accept...) or do you have a US provider you were going to recommend but forgot to include in your post?! The hassle is import tax in the UK and collecting the thing. I'm doing this to help friends and was trying to keep it simple. Personally, I "import" all the time, living in Deutschland and all that.

Stick, I'm not sure about the condition of the wood. Last time i saw the car I was trying to get it started and forgot to look. I personally would want original, but walnut or rosewood may appeal. I don't suppose you could take a snap of them so I can forward it? Knowing the car a little, I am surprised that the wood isn't excellent. It's a VERY original car in excellent condition. I wonder if they just don't like the slightly average looking original veneer.
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 20:41:33 »
James,

No, not implying you are weak at all. I just have not found (with the exception of heavy items or expensive items) "import" to be an issue, in either direction. In fact, in both directions between EU/UK and here, NEVER have I had to pay any import or export duties or taxes, on again, smaller things that go mostly by post. Generally they are delivered quickly and efficiently. I sent out hundreds of the Pagoda Style books--a non trivial shipping cost, and a value of USD $75 each, and most were delivered to their destination w/o any taxes or fees. I know I got the whole lot of 500 delivered by truck to me from the printer in Canada w/o any hassle either. I've bought some car parts new and used from overseas shippers, and all came in quickly w/o any paperwork or taxes.

Now, when you get to the $2,500 range US, a different set of rules kicks in. Also, if you use someone like DHL or Fedex or UPS and have something going "freight" (lower cost shipping) versus "express" (expensive quick shipment) you frequently have to deal with your own freight forwarder, or import agent or the like. That's a pain, if only for the fact that they have a "minimum" service fee you have to deal with, and some paperwork, too.

I would suspect a set of dash wood can be sent from the USA pretty easily, and received the same way in UK. I would just ask that the seller/shipper in the USA (for you or your friend's benefit) use the US Postal Service, and probably choose "International Priority Mail" for the least amount of hassle.

I'd be happy to intercede on your behalf if the seller/shipper doesn't want to do international; there is some paperwork they have to do but it's all online and seconds to fill out if you know what you are doing. I've done it regularly and would be happy to help. PM me.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Flyair

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Warsaw
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 23:01:33 »
James,

I can definitely recommend two crafters in Poland.

The first is called Autodrewno (means Carwood), where I renovated all the wood elements for my Pagoda. They were quite damaged, especially the HT element. Sebastian did an excellent work. He gets many orders from Germany and many other countries. As far as I know he enjoys  an excellent reputation. Autodrewno has a webpage also in English with examples of realisations:
http://www.autodrewno.com/en/gal_mercedes.php
BTW, some time ago I have already posted on this forum the photos of my woods...

The second crafter located near Warsaw has no website, but is as good as Autodrewno. He also restores wheels in resins and Nardi in wood. Artur had his woods done here for both his Pagoda and W111. We also did our wheels at this shop. In all those cases the job was absolutely fabulous. If necessary, I can ask Artur to post some photographs of his woods. This crafter may be also slightly cheaper.

By the way, both crafters are able to either restore the elements provided bun the client or recreate them from scratch in a pre-agreed finish.

Let me know if you or your friend were interested to pursue.

Stan
1971 280SL
2011 SL550 AMG
2011 GL
2015 GLA

Filippo

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 16:18:43 »
I bought a wood kit on http://www.mbclassics.de

I still need to fit it but looks great. Its in walnut and costs   535,50 EUR

I can't find it anymore on the site so assum out of stock but maybe you can call if interested.

I bought all my spare from mbclassic and always happy of the service/quality.....

regards

Filippo

mmizesko

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Gold
  • USA, OH, New Albany
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 22:57:39 »
Just a quick note on shipping.

I have traded "B"pillar covers with the UK and each way costs about $70 for cheapest mail.  Each time it takes about 30 days.  Largely the size of the package.

Just a heads up.

Mike Mizesko
Columbus, OH
1970 280SL 291H Dark Olive