Author Topic: Strange Hardtop Issue Dust Particles  (Read 5411 times)

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
Strange Hardtop Issue Dust Particles
« on: June 03, 2010, 22:17:03 »
As a few others have experienced, my hardtop has a tendency to shed tiny dust particles from the headliner - especially when it is touched or pressed on... My kids thought it was funny until I banned them from the car if they did it one more time.   :o  Anyway, it is the foam backing underneath deteriorating I believe. Only slightly annoying really but there nonetheless. Anyway, the other day I was blowing the driveway, and since the windows were down, I went in garage and aimed the blower at the headliner, thinking I would blow that stuff out once and for all...It was amazing how much just kept flying out. But here's the weird thing: I looked at the rear window as I was blowing and it was covered with the dust ON THE OUTSIDE! In other words, the dust was getting from the inside to the out from around the top of the rear window. Does this sound right -- should there be a seal or something. As far as I recall, the window has never leaked... Just thought it was strange.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 08:54:45 by 280SL71 »
James
63 230SL

IXLR8

Re: Strange Hardtop issue
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 22:48:02 »
The 113's had "flow-through ventilation" where the air enters at the base of the windshield, circulates within the car, and exits through the headliner via small vents at the top of the rear glass.

Shouldn't leak water due to their configuration, but they are designed to allow the cockpit air to exit.

Joe

Bernd

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 03:55:11 »
Hmmm
 having taken apart just one hardtop over the years I certainly am no expert, but I don't think there is "flow through" at the top of the rear window.  prove me wrong, but my bet is that this most likely has to do with the air flow around the hardtop through the sides much as snow drifts deposit at areas of low flow in a snowstorm. Surely you are right on the foam deterioration issue being the headliner falling apart.

Bernd

dlesbrown

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 06:09:10 »
The 14-minute English-language promotional video on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=UIuo82fubVA&feature=related describes the ventilation system about 10 minutes in.  It would seem to support the claim that air exits through the top of the rear window.

dean

Re: Strange Hardtop Issue Dust Particles
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 12:18:16 »
This past winter i experienced the dust particles from my hard top falling down on me while driving once i go over a bump in the road or similar. (Driving in New York City, that means everywhere and all the time). I solved my problem by removing the hard top completely now that the weather is nicer.  I always meant to inquire in this forum regarding Vacuuming the liner.  Is that recommended or better to blow it like J did?
Thanks

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 13:41:38 »
Hey Dean. I had previously tried the shop-vac approach. Not sure if as much came out that way as when I blew --  (didn't look in canister) -- but I can tell you that dust just keeps on coming. Like you, I stay dust free most of year by removing the top, although I like the hardtop look a lot.

And Bernd, having grown up in Southern California I couldn't tell you the first thing about snowdrifts! I do know the stuff was getting out the rear somehow.

I'll check out the youtube video (AGAIN!!) Love that thing!! Thanks.
James
63 230SL

dtuttle123

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 13:47:41 »
The 'dust' is the foam padding under the liner that is breaking down over time...I have it too.  The soltion is to replace the padding & liner, but that's a big job for another day!

Rolland

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010, 04:39:42 »
As part of the restoration work being done on mine right now, the hard top is included to address some minor rust issues making sure it doesn't get worse.  We were able to get the old liner out in one piece and can tell you all the foam part is hundreds, probably thosands of pieces.  I think vacuuming while helping some will be an endless job.  Most all the pieces are quite a bit larger than the pinholes in the liner.

Rolland

Louiehenry

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 03:56:27 »
Can I cut a small hole in the back of the top interior, an run the vac in the hole for a while? It's getting to the point in mine, where it becomes a driving hazard there's so much dust, it covers the seats with every bump, and gets into eyes to the point of pain