Author Topic: 1970 SL 280  (Read 2515 times)

rainer maria

1970 SL 280
« on: October 29, 2013, 06:40:54 »
As I am about to become a new owner of a 1970 SL 280, auto RHD, I would appreciate some comments or assistance regarding the following;

The car has recently been restored and is in excellent overall condition.  The colour is metallic maroon with cream leather interior.  My first choice would be white or off white code 050 G or light beige 181 H, light ivory 670 H or closest to.

My question is, if I should live with the recently restored maroon, or if a re-spray to original colours is recommended?  What impact would a complete re-spray have on the vehicle?

Many thanks for taking your time in assisting me, rainer maria scherzinger.

garymand

• Inactive
  • Gold
  • USA, CA, Meadow Vista
Re: 1970 SL 280
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 20:48:00 »
The car is most valualble in its original color.  Typically, you can't just 'respray' it without extensive prepwork.  all the painted surfaces need to match color.  Usually its love her, leave her, or strip her down, fix all the flaws and start over with a comprehensive re paint.
Gary
Early 250SL German version owned since 71, C320, R350, 89 Porsche 944 Turbo S

Bonnyboy

• Gold
  • Canada, BC, North Vancouver
  • 1969 280sl Euro 4sp LSD
Re: 1970 SL 280
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 21:59:01 »
It all depends on what you want to do with the car.   If you want to show the car and compete with other like automobilies and if your bank book can handle it - by all means bring it back to the original or any colour that you want.  Remember - you will probably spend more getting to the last 3 points than the other 97 points.     

However, I sign up to the philosophy of drive the car enough to warrant a new paint job.  Depending on how much you drive it, that could take several years or a lifetime.  In that time you may develop an appreciation for the mechanicals and the lovely lines of the car rather than a colour scheme that doesn't suit you today.  See how the interior reacts to sun shine - is the restoration really up to par or are there things that you may need to fix in a couple years.   

The real joy I get out of my car is driving it - I couldn't care less about the colour (I also have a bright green MGB and a purple Triumph motorcycle).  I don't have original paint (well maybe I do in one spot), one seat has been replaced and is a bit odd to me and the interior is really showing its age - however I am not in a hurry to remedy any of those items as they are all part of the story that is my car.  Everyone that looks at a car looks at it differently - some look at the pretty paint, some look at the quality of the paint job, some look at the mechanicals, some look at options, some look at the way the package all goes together, some look at the specifications like horsepower and torque........it may only matter when you are going to sell it. 

I would suggest driving the car and see how you do with the car out in public.  If you can't handle the colours it may be easier for you to sell the car and find one that is original than to restore it yourself or have it restored.   If its right hand drive then you already have something special. 
Ian
69 280SL
65 F-100
73 CB750K
75 MGB
78 FLH
82 CB750SC
94 FLHTCU
08 NPS50