Author Topic: New Member Introduction  (Read 3860 times)

Valvechatter

New Member Introduction
« on: August 07, 2013, 22:46:34 »
Hello,
I am a recently subscribed full member of the Pagoda SL Group Forum, and I thought I would introduce myself. I am in Harrisonburg, VA USA. I have several classic cars and like to do as much restoration work myself as time and talent (or lack thereof) will allow. However, I am not a painter! I have restored several Healeys and I am working on a 64 MK2 Jaguar at the moment - and at least for several more years! I am strictly a hobbyist at this, but unfortunately, as my spouse tells me, I tend to be a "perfectionist hobbyist." I recently retired so I have a little more time than I had previously.

As you can see, my interests have been British up to now, but I have just joined the German ranks having purchased a 1969 280SL. It is a single owner, California car, with only 26,000 miles. I will post some photos later. I do not have the car yet as it is being transported to my home in Virginia. I am looking forward to learning the ins and outs of the SLs, and I am sure that I will be much more the consumer, rather than the contributor of information about these beautiful cars. I have already enjoyed approximately 5 hours of viewing time on the Forum and I know that I will accumulate many more hours. Thanks to everyone in advance for sharing what you know about this great automobile and for putting up with the uninformed and inexperienced (that would be me).

Oh, one last thought. I have read several posts that referenced rust issues. I just want you to know that you just don't know what rust is until you restore a Healey!!

Warm regards,
Lin

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
Re: New Member Introduction
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 23:34:11 »
Welcome Lin

Rust on a Healy. I wish. Now for real rust try an E Type. Mind you the parts for the British cars are much cheaper that the Germans
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 23:38:13 »
Welcome Lin to one of the finest forums I've come across. Great people here and all the information in the Technical Manual as I am sure you have discovered.

I too just got my 280 SL this past May and have great fun with it. Looking forward to your photos :)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 23:55:24 by Rolf-Dieter »
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 08:32:37 »
Wow, a one-owner car with only 26,000 miles is a rare find and sure to be of interest to the rest of us. Please post pictures!
Oh, and welcome!
Repairing Mercedes cars is how I've earned my living for 33 years now.
Many years ago I thought I knew it all about cars and then I bought a race car. At the race track I discovered many, many "ametuers" who knew a hell of a lot more than I did and so I learned not to be so conceited!
There are many folk like those "amateurs" on here who know a lot more than they should which makes it a great forum and is valuable even to us "professionals"!

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 16:25:52 »
Welcome Lin and congratulations on purchasing a truly magnificent car.  Hopefully you will have an opportunity to bring it to Williamsburg in September for the big 50 year celebration.  Close to home.  Have a look at the Events section for more info.  Looking forward to some photos.
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

dpreston Virginia

• Silver
  • USA, VA, Salem
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 16:31:19 »
Lin,
Great to have a new member. I am close by so don't hesitate to get in touch.
Check out this web site to see lots of original info and what to look for when you purchase a Pagoda.
http://www.motoringinvestments.com/MainPage.htm

David
190SL 1960 Sold
280SL 1969
280SE 1969 cabriolet
Vette 67
Porsche 912 67

Valvechatter

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 20:03:16 »
Thanks to everyone for the welcoming comments! David, thanks particularly for the web site link. Home of some amazing cars and very helpful photos!

Lin

gerster

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 20:11:26 »
Welcome here Lin, looking forward for your pictures of your beauty!

Greetings: Ger.