Author Topic: Pedal Lock  (Read 2708 times)

John K

• Junior Level
  • United Kingdom, England, Kingston upon Thames, Surrey
Pedal Lock
« on: August 16, 2017, 12:13:48 »
Looking to buy a pedal security lock for next euro tour.  Think a bit more security from theft might be a good idea.  Any thoughts on a good security lock either on the steering wheel or foot pedals would be helpful.

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
Re: Pedal Lock
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 13:41:56 »
It is a good topic...

There are devices that clamp together brake pedal and steering wheel - very popular in my country late XXth century. Like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Anti-Theft-Car-Steering-Wheel-Lock-Security-System-Car-Van-SUV-Truck-/401250157401?hash=item5d6c5f8359:g:E3wAAOSwUKxYY33B&vxp=mtr

It takes 10-15 seconds for a professional thief to unlock it... And no other but a pro would probably look at your car for reasons other than to steal it and have fun ride. But for those probably the steerig wheel lock is enough.

But not to be only sarcastic:

The sight of a steering lock may discourage some people and protect against some.

I am happy to have 123 ignition with immobilizer. My colleagues from the club are talking about hidden switches to cut off ignition. Or hidden remote controlled switches to cut off ignition.

Nowadays the monitoring GPS systems/alarm sustems  come at reasonable prices.

Other than that - I would also be interested to see the latest ideas. Maybe gear shifter related?
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

Khurram Darugar

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 16:05:02 »
There is device that locks the pedals to each other.  Apparently thieves hate this one because access constraints in relation to breaking the lock. 

vande17941

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Newport Beach
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 20:12:36 »
Put it in gear, put a boot wheel lock on one of the front wheels, use a club on the steering wheel, and while at home use a chain made of kryptonite U-locks anchored to the ground and to part of the suspension etc.

All you are trying to do is make it as difficult as possible. If they want it while you have it parked somewhere, they will use a winch and pull it into the back of a truck in less than 2 minutes. Then they park the truck for 48hrs and watch it to see if the car has a locator in it. If not, it's on its way to another country and another owner.

And then....we cry.
'66 USA (1967 model Year) 230sl, 4-speed Manual, Driven Like a Real Car! Set up with KYB Stiffer Shocks, and Motor Mounts w Urethane Inserts Underneath, 3-point Belts, Headrests Installed 🚗

1986 560sl Cabernet & Palomino (not recommended)

2001 SLK320 Sport AMG Silver & Black