Author Topic: 230SL UK "barn" find pride and joy  (Read 16142 times)

Russell

Re: 230SL UK "barn" find pride and joy
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2012, 09:35:34 »
Russell don't forget to add TFD to your list, it comes up often with Pagodas - first letter Too, third letter Dear

Neil

;D Neil i am used to things being way more expensive than anything a pagoda can throw at me i am sure. i just sold my Aston virage volante 6.3 wide body. Trust me i know pain. They can be like someone reaching down your throat and removing your bowels.
i am looking forward to some "cheap motoring" with my little pagoda ;)

although i am a realist so i am guessing i will need to assume the position from time to time ?
TFD firmly committed to memory thanks

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2012, 13:29:51 »
VW Kombi's are great, tail lights, genuine originals $45, MB Pagoda, $750

My Kombi has a sign on the back:
"my other car is a Mercedes, that's why I'm driving my Kombi"

Maybe I need to put on the Pagoda
"my other car is a Kombi,  I carnt really afford the Mercedes" :D :D
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

DaveB

• Gold
  • Australia, Western Australia, Lathlain
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2012, 14:09:22 »
Can you post some pictures Russell?
Does it have a leather interior?

Dave
DaveB
'65 US 230sl 4-speed, DB190

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2012, 18:15:46 »
heater hoses, brake hoses and getting filters. are we saying i can get those from any dealer ?
Yes, we are.

Russell

« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2012, 19:54:26 »
thanks for the info and i apologise for the newbie posts but i as you can understand all the advice about take your time is passing right over my head while i am firmly in stupid grin mode trying to work out where to get the basic parts but you have been a great help so i think we are now sorted what to do.
i dont have any pictures yet as we picked it up from devon in a storm and with the brake stuck on we had to abandon it still on the low lowder in the garage yard.
of course with a stuck brake it is an easy thing to winch it up dragging it but then to get it off......
i got a call today saying they have pulled the hub or whatever and released whatever the issue was and she is off and in the garage. the oil looks brand new.
they are going to get the basics and try to get her going and i am hoping to go and see her properly this weekend and i cant wait.
i will then bring her to her new home and the that's when i will really annoy the pants off everyone while i find out how to get her back in fit shape.
pictures will follow asap.

as regards leather interior it has a sort of brown material that looks a bit leather ish but i am not actually convinced it has been anywhere near a cow. what were the options back then ?

Markbhai

« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2012, 12:53:58 »
Russell.  That will be MB-Tex then.

If you want to know about authenticity, then get your chassis number to a MB dealer and ask them to get a copy of the factory data card.  They will copy it and scan it for you.  You can then use this site to interpret all of the data, which will tell you what colours were fitted and any options etc. - They did not charge me for mine.

When I got mine it told me that it was originally fitted with a brown soft top, whereas when I got it she had a black one...not any more!

http://www.sl113.org/wiki/DataCard/DataCards

Cheers

Mark.

Russell

« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2012, 13:18:32 »
thanks mark, i am told that there is "stuff" in the boot. what i havent a clue but have asked them to drop it round so i am hoping my original data card is part of that but if not at least i can go and find out what it was from what you have said.

Russell

« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2012, 13:53:03 »
well the stuff in the boot turned up. some bad news that there is no card amongst it all.
good news is there is all original merc manuals, parts manual and owners handbook manual. they are all huge binders.
i havent looked in the glove box yet so might still get lucky.

snowyt 69

« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2012, 03:01:02 »
Best of luck with your find Russel.
My 1969 280SL had neither been started nor driven in ten years when I bought it. I froze to death checking it for rust, but when I found none I just bought the car. Outside of the obvious culprits (fuel tank and pump, belts and hoses, tires, fluids, etc.), the car was relatively easy to bring back to life. The only real anomoly I ran into was rad fluid frozen to the consitancy of paste in the outlet from the engine block, in the thermostat housing, and some of the auxillary coolant lines. Seeing as your car would appear to have been started and ran on at least a semi-annual basis, I doubt this will be a problem with yours. Tires are a snap as long as you are not concerned with the original 190/75/R14 rating (I'm quoting from memory so shoot me if I'm wrong!). I'm running 195/70/R14's now, and though there might be fractional spedometer error, it won't exactly matter as the speedo tends to flicker and wander around a bit. As does the tach by the way. Even if they look good, your heater levers are going to probably turn to confetti the first time you try to operate them (two of the four of mine did). Although being told by more than one person in the know that the levers were the least of my worries, that the valves and the heater core fittings and what not were sure to be rusted and inoperative, when I got it apart all it really needed was new levers. The cables were all operating the bits they were supposed to operate, and despite the job of replacing the levers was a bit of a head scratcher with not a whole lot of room to do anything, I got them in fine, they work perfect, and I was glad I replaced the light bulbs as I really never want to get in there again! The brakes save the master cylinder and a few steel and flex lines are original and never touched. Same with the radiator, the transmission, the differential, the front end, the rear end, the middle end, and the end in sight.
I got lucky in my find and I know it. I hope you get lucky in your's as well.
If you want to follow the story of my Pagoda saga, search for Barn Find or snowyt 69. It happened a couple of years back, but there might be something of value there seeing as you are basically in my old shoes.
Oh...and as to why I haven't written any follow up, it is simply because it would have been way to boring. I mean who really wants to read this...
"Topped up with gas. Drove to the golf course. Made a birdie. Topped up with gas. Drove to my sister's place 400 kilometers up the road. Topped up with gas. Twisted the key and just went for a drive for the fun of it."
May such boring posts be your future Russel.

Russell

« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2012, 10:58:45 »
good news thanks, i hope i fair the same. i am looking forward to having some boring posts to put up about sunny days myself. as soon as it is running it will come to me here so i will then find out for rel what i am into.