Author Topic: Rubber clutch and brake pads  (Read 3231 times)

ctm14

Rubber clutch and brake pads
« on: March 29, 2012, 04:11:05 »
Ok, I tried to search for this answer so as not to show my ignorance in print but to no avail. I ordered replacement rubber pedal pads from the Classic Ctr for my clutch and brake on my 69' 280.  Can someone explain why there is a long rubber downward extension on the right side of each pad. I don't see this on the original pads. It is a bit hard to explain but if you were to fit both pads there would be an extension of rubber approximately 1" protruding downward on the right side running the full length. Why and should I trim it or do I have the wrong part?

DaveB

• Gold
  • Australia, Western Australia, Lathlain
Re: Rubber clutch and brake pads
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 05:33:22 »
That's the way they are now, the original flat ones with the 110 part number don't seem to be available. I believe the rubber extension may be to cushion the contact of pedal on floor.
DaveB
'65 US 230sl 4-speed, DB190

ctm14

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 16:20:18 »
Thanks Dave,

It seems like such an awkward set up. 

Chris

pagoden

• Senior
  • USA, MD, Silver Spring
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 17:53:39 »
Or is it an attempt to prevent tangle-footedness - - getting caught behind a pedal maybe?  Gotta take care of the citizenry, ya know.  
[I did wonder too, and have no better answer.]

Denny
1968/69 280SL, just+100k mi, manual 4, 3.46, both tops, 717/904

ctm14

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 03:52:49 »
Denny you are correct. I received an answer from the Classc Center. The protrusion from the bottom of the replacement pedal covers are indeed to prevent your foot from catching beneath the brake when coming off the gas.  Makes you wonder what other efforts are in the works to protect us from ourselves.  ???