Author Topic: 300SL Gullwing wing/fender badge !!!  (Read 4208 times)

Wolfmann

300SL Gullwing wing/fender badge !!!
« on: February 03, 2012, 12:58:22 »
I saw in Michael's book that one 113 owner had fitted a Mercedes Benz script from a 300SL on the front left wing/fender and I thought it was a nice idea.

Looked on the web and on Ebay but couldn't find anything so telephoned the MB Classic Centre.

Yaay, the badge is available and for only £350 plus VAT !!!

Wondered if anyone knew of another MB car that had an MB script badge in the same typeface ? Maybe replicas are available already??

Apologies in advance to any who feel putting a non-standard badge on our cars is the act of a phillistine. I admit putting a 230SL radio delete plate badge on my glovebox lid - I love the badge but also wanted a radio !! (it is on with a peelable adhesive so totally reversible!!)

The 300SL boot / trunk badge is also around £300, they are no harder to make and have no more material in them than the badges for our cars (eg AUTOMATIC which are about £100) so it is clear that MB are charging based on rarity and the value of the recipient vehicle rather than just making a fair profit, tooling costs are minimal for these type of products.

Oh well,

Steven. >:(
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 21:50:30 by Wolfmann »

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: 300SL Gullwing wing/fender badge !!!
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 13:48:11 »
Steven,

No quicker way to have the MB lawyers knocking at your door than reproducing something that says "Mercedes-Benz".  If you are going into the casting business, might as well start with a Grill Star, not a 300SL logo.  I don't recommend that either, but there are more Pagoda owners wanting a new grill star than a gull wing badge...at least I would think so?

That being said, it was NOT the owner who fitted this, it was the restorer, Mark Passarelli.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Wolfmann

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 14:51:47 »
Steven,

No quicker way to have the MB lawyers knocking at your door than reproducing something that says "Mercedes-Benz".  If you are going into the casting business, might as well start with a Grill Star, not a 300SL logo.  I don't recommend that either, but there are more Pagoda owners wanting a new grill star than a gull wing badge...at least I would think so?

That being said, it was NOT the owner who fitted this, it was the restorer, Mark Passarelli.

Mmm Wonder where he got it from ??

« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 21:51:21 by Wolfmann »

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
Re: Mmm Wonder where he got it from ??
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 15:16:50 »
Mark is a 300 SL restorer, so he has access to these parts.

Used to be in Arizona but now has moved to Hawaii.

Naj
68 280SL

Wolfmann

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 15:38:57 »
Thanks Naj - Do you have his contact details please ??

S.

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 16:52:41 »
68 280SL

Wolfmann

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 21:49:41 »
Thanks everyone - Babak has filled the order !!

Steven.