Author Topic: rechromed bumpers  (Read 7934 times)

drewsalisbury

rechromed bumpers
« on: April 10, 2003, 09:16:43 »
Are there any recommended steps for priming or sealing the interior surfaces of bumpers, bumper guards, top case trim, etc after they have been rechromed before they are put back on the car?
Thanks for any insight.
Drew
1971 280sl auto
1965 230sl 4spd

Drew Salisbury

gwuisman

• Senior
  • Netherlands, Zuid-Holland, Oegstgeest
  • Keep it simpel
Re: rechromed bumpers
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2003, 11:27:23 »
I rechromed my front bumpers and was adviced to seal the interior as follows:
- degrease the surface thoroughly
- spray with zink paint
- seal with wax spray
I followd this advise and did the front and back bumpers and guards.
After two yaers every thing looks like done yesterday.
This year I did the same with the grille under the windshield and the rims of the headlights. If you do this treat the screws with white grease and replace them if tey are rusting. It is a very good protection against rust.
Gerard Wuisman
1970 280sl

n/a

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2003, 12:07:41 »
a product called POR-15 also does this very well, the product is epoxy based, very tough, and will seal the metal so rust cannot form or get worse.  I've used it in a variety of applications, and have been quite please with the results...and they offer a variety of colors to suit your taste...  www.por15.com I have no connection or financial interest in the company, I've used their products and have been pleased.

-Lewis

'64 230 sl 113042-10-001600
67 saab sonett II #43 of 258
99 saab 9-5
00 bmw z-3 2.8

Richard Madison

• Inactive
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2003, 14:22:29 »
After my bumpers were rechromed, the chromer suggested that to protect the inside and to keep the "original look", spray the inside of each bumper with a rustproof paint like Rustoleum (comes in some light colors), then top coat with a tan or beige color spray...
Richard M
1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).

n/a

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2003, 17:52:44 »
How should the front and rear bumper supports be finished? Were they chromed or just painted silver ??

George Davis

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2003, 18:21:45 »
The rear bumper supports on my car appear to be painted black, maybe a flat or satin.  The back side of the bumpers look light light gray. I'm guessing both are original from their appearance.

George Davis
'69 280 SL Euro manual

Bob G

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2003, 20:00:19 »
The inside of the front and rear bumpers are painted with a flat 158 with grey. I like the comments suggested by the other posts. I would prep the inside of the bumpers to get any burs off and smooth down the inside metal with a 3-M Scotchbright pad red. Next if you can have an automotive paint store mix you up some zink paint in the 158 color, spray that or brush it in. I also have heard good things about POR -15.
Bob Geco
1968 280SL