Author Topic: My Brand Old 70 280SL  (Read 2619 times)

nycdec

My Brand Old 70 280SL
« on: October 19, 2011, 18:12:21 »
Hi everyone in pagoda world. I have been looking for years and FINALLY found a dark red 280 in decent overall (original) condition. it has 130K on her but the engine runs beautifully and the body is in fairly good condition all things considered. I am currently doing research to getting her back in 'like new' ish condition as this is a car i want to drive and have fun with w/o breaking the bank. My questions are the following:

1. I would like to have the car repainted and was wondering what a fair estimate on this would be? Original color 542.

2. Want to put a new soft top on her. Hole in old soft top. Found a couple of websites selling them and i was wondering how much installation cost?

3. I am redoing the interiors with MBTEX vinyl and new carpet all in bamboo. Was thinking about ordering from GAHH in california. Anyone have experience with them? I also found WorldUpholstery online as well.

4. refurbing the original becker europa radio which works but the speaker is crackly and annoying. i think when i paint and upholster i will change the speaker too.

5. i was hoping to get all this done for 10-12 K. is this possible and realistic?

i have only been a member for a short time and i see there are SEVERAL enthusiasts here with quite a rolodex of knowledge and i thank you in advance. any information etc. would be greatly appreciated.

i am located in the nyc area but the car is to be kept upstate.