Author Topic: Space Saver Spare Wheel  (Read 24130 times)

Rodolfo

Re: Space Saver Spare Wheel
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2013, 11:21:04 »
some French passnger cars in the past placed a spare wheel under the car. It was not so nice if you had to dismount it after years of mud.
As soon I have my pagode delivered, I will check if it is possible to fit one there. Just curious for that.

Rudy

Flyair

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Warsaw
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2013, 13:28:42 »
some French passnger cars in the past placed a spare wheel under the car. It was not so nice if you had to dismount it after years of mud..
Rudy

Not only French had it. I had a Chrysler Town&Country where the wheel was placed below the central part of the under carriage. This meant that you had to lower the wheel, move the car to access it so that was very cumbersome. But the most difficult was to fix the wheel back in place. This required a visit to a garage and lifting the car. A real pain in the part of the back where it loses its noble name. 
Stan
1971 280SL
2011 SL550 AMG
2011 GL
2015 GLA

hauser

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2013, 15:29:45 »
We had a Hoda Odyssey with the spare in the floorboard between the front and middle seats.

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2013, 15:57:50 »
All the new range rover discoverys and the new range rover have the spare wheel under the fuel tank. It means a lot of boot space, but a lot of boot contents by the roadside when you need to lower the spare, since the winch mech is under the floor of the boot. Could be brilliant but fails at the execution stage.
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2013, 18:26:12 »
The spare for the Rolls Silver Shadow used to unwind from under the trunk floor

As James says, you need to unload the trunk to unwind it but prior to that the trunk is big enough to travel in

My dad had a Shadow 1 and a II when I was a teenager and I regularly drive past the spot we had a blow out and had to put the spare on one cold winters evening . Being dropped at school in a Roller was very embarassing. However, always becareful what you wish for: He got rid of the II for a Spur which was a Friday lemon carand he finally got Crewe to refund him for it. At which point he got....

Prior to the Rolls he had a series 1 XJ6 and a Daimler v8 (Mk2 jag style) so he really did go off the rails...
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2013, 18:51:43 »
My Dear James,

You may (ok, are) married to a wonderful lady from the Americas, but I see no reason to resort to the American language to make your point. It is, has been, and will always be "the boot" in English! I know Texans don't compromise, and neither should you.

Bad Zoot. 10 Hail Mary's.

James
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL