W113 Pagoda SL Group > Drive train, fuel, suspension, steering & brakes

Late Series 280SL Inlet Manifold

(1/2) > >>

treedoc:
Our 280SL was built October 1970, at some stage had the origonal motor was replaced with an early series 280.

As that motor is now using too much oil we are currently reconditioning a correct late series 280 [fully rebuilt block & head] to replace the existing motor.

Could somone please provide photoes of the correct inlet manifold, cold start valve and associated plumbing please on the late series, it would be much apprecated.

Witt posted the image below on another thread but he is not sure if it is a late series 280

Thanks in anticipation

Geoff [treedoc]

Naj ✝︎:
Hi, Geoff,

Yes, Witt's is the late type engine.
You can tell from the very boxy (rectangular) shape at the back of the manifold and the centre port for the vacuum pipe for the brake servo. The CSV is of a smaller diameter ( and different design) and uses a paper gasket instead of the 'O' on the earlier valve.
The throttle control rod (that runs across the engine ) is also shorter by about 40mm and I guess also the breather pipe, water pipe to the WRD and fuel line to the CSV. The rubber 'glove' that goes on these two pipes is also shorter.
I thought that the later bayonet type oil filler caps came in with these late engines, but Witt's picture would suggest not!

Is your car RHD?
Note the gap between brake servo and manifold in the second pic.

Naj

280SE Guy:
Don't know if these pics will help you or not. Here are a couple of the items you were asking for on my 1971 280SE built in January of 1971. Should be close as our cars are cousins.

More images can be seen here: http://www.mbca.org/forum/her-name-anthracite-w108-thread

Regards,

280SE Guy

treedoc:
Thanks Nag and Guy, both sets of images very helpful, Guy that car of yours is just magnificent
Our 280SL is LHD perchased in California a couple of years ago.

One more question,  which relates to he positioning of the air con pump and the alternator, currently on our SL the aternator is at the top and the AC pump is buried down below, is that how late US 280's where or has that been changed as well?

Below is how the right side of the engine bay looks now.

Again thanks in anticipation

Geoff

280SE Guy:
I looked for some pictures of a 280SL with A/C and this is what I came up with: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5IXyWEWEkk

At 14 seconds you can see the alternator in the upper mounting position. At 1:00 you can see that this 280SL has A/C.

I'm not sure if it is an original or later added A/C. Do you have the data cards for your SL which would indicate the car was produced with an A/C system?

Others will have the proper answer I'm sure.

I did notice that you seem to be missing the heat shield between the exhaust and intake manifold, do you have it removed for some reason?

Regards,

280SE Guy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version