W113 Pagoda SL Group > Drive train, fuel, suspension, steering & brakes

Fuel Tank Protection

(1/3) > >>

jaymanek:
Hi,

Ive ordered a reproduction fuel tank from SLS. Id bet that its not going to last the 40 years the original one has so would the panel recommend any type of galvanising or other rust protection prior to fitment?

I plan to give it a final good coat of waxoyl as i do with everything on my cars!

jaymanek:
nobody?

well I did some googling and it seems galvanising is not a good idea with fuel tanks as the zinc reacts and causes armageddon...

So im thinking just a good powder coat on the exterior...

mdsalemi:
WHOA!!!

Powder coat?  Are we certain that the tank is not already painted?  What about the plastic "flower pot" inside?  I would not risk melting it with powder coat.  Proper powder coat will start with metal prep and a pre-bake at about 425 degrees F for some period of time.  Then, after the coating, another bake at about 400.  

If you do not like the paint job it comes with, well by all means have a good and proper paint job done on it...but powder coat?  Too risky for the parts inside.

jaymanek:
Yes you are completely correct, I had forgotten about the flower pot.

The tank im sure is painted but my experience with these paints is that they really dont last long... I guess I will just ensure I keep the tank wax protected on the exterior and keep the fuel full so that internal corrosion is inhibited.

Wolfmann:
I don't know how old you are Jaymanek but I suspect that, unfortunately, if the tank exterior is properly painted then any problems with it are not likely to tax us !

I know we all want to live forever...  ;)

PS I just heard from my mate Methuselah and he recommends having one fabricated in stainless steel !

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version