Author Topic: Glove Box Trim  (Read 2799 times)

Mike

Glove Box Trim
« on: June 30, 2011, 16:20:02 »
The padded piece along the bottom of the glove box on my 230 SL has always been "loose" looking.  Upon taking it apart, I found that  there are two holes on the glove box door that appear to be for the purpose of holding some kind of clip arrangement that (presumably) holds the trim piece firmly in place.  Does anyone  have a set of these two clips that they would sell, or does anyone have a picture of what they look like?  Thanks.   

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
Re: Glove Box Trim
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 16:52:12 »
Mike,
I believe this is what you are looking for. I don't know the p/n for the clips or the size of the metric screws that you need but may be able to find them later.
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

Mike

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 12:36:59 »
Alfred, thanks so much for that picture.  It really helped me.  Aided by your picture, I went home last night and checked my boxes of bits and left over pieces from when we redid my car 7 or 8 years ago (the boxes that contain enough stuff from my restoration process that my wife tells me that I left enough stuff behind to make a motorcycle.)   Lo and behold there were the two clips from your picture.

I hate to trouble you with this further request but would you kindly look at the piece from your picture and see if the clips are riveted onto the trim piece?  Based on your picture, it sure looks to me like they are.  Thanks a bunch. 

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 16:01:13 »
Mike,
no rivets. The clips simply slide over bent tabs that are part of the trim body as shown in the photo below.
This is the trim piece in my 280SL. It looks different from the one in my 230SL posted earlier because of the different cover and padding material.
I hope that your trim piece still has the tabs!
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)