Author Topic: Head Restraints or not ?  (Read 6166 times)

Wolfmann

Head Restraints or not ?
« on: June 21, 2011, 11:01:36 »
I am thinking of adding head restraints to my '64 230SL and was wondering what the general feeling about this is...Butchery or a sensible safety improvement ?

I like the aesthetic purity of no restraints but I think that should the car get rear ended the possibility of having to wear a neck brace may well detract from the enjoyment of the whole SL experience?

My car has no seat belts and the fitting of these is, to me, a no-brainer, I simply wouldn't drive any car especially one with a rock hard steering wheel and no airbags (!) without seat belts.

I would value opinions and comments.

Thanks,

Steven.

knockmacool

Re: Head Restraints or not ?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 11:13:39 »
Its your personal choice, aesthetics vs safety is a difficult dialogue. Once in, they can always come out. For me, money no object, they would be in. Concourse aside, I can't see it matters too much, it's still a great looking rig!

Drew

Larry & Norma

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Southampton
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 15:06:58 »
Fitted headrests earlier this year as a safety feature. Wife loves them as she can now nod off
in comfort!
Larry Hall (Gnuface)
2023 Ioniq6
2005 C230
1970 280SL

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, JACKSONVILLE
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 16:22:34 »
Butchery is more defined by the execution than the concept.  Headrests that match your seats are always a good idea. 
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 21:45:44 »
Raymond's assessment is spot on.

For what it is worth, safety-related items are generally not deducted in Concours.

When I restored my car, I purposely removed the all-red tail lamps and installed amber/red, simply because all these years later that's what people are used to seeing.

I put in 3-point retractables because I'd never really drive in a car w/o them.

I already had the head rests, but I certainly would have added them.

This at least brings the car up to some semblance of safety that I personally feel more comforable with.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Faraizim

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 22:04:51 »
Related questions, perhaps off the main topic, but: how hard is to add head rests to a 'non-head rest seat? (I have a 70 Euro w/o headrests).

Also, on the tail light topic: I have the red lens lights-is there an upgrade to that besides replacing the full light unit? (i.e. can the red lens ones be made into amber/red ones)--or must i buy a new set?

Thanks

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 02:11:00 »
I have seen what it takes.  First, you need a set of headrests.  Periodically they show up on ebay.  Then you need a set of rails, they mount internally inside the seat.  Then, the grommets for the top of the seat. There were some german suppliers selling the rails a while ago...best to keep a lookout for the parts.  Of course, once you have the seat open, may as well change the pads, repair the springs...

I believe the taillamp switch is in its entirety; it was for mine.  The all red get good $$$ if they are in nice shape, more than replacements
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

SteveK

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 08:26:37 »
I bought a set of head rests and rails from someone on e-bay for $175.  It took about 2 hours each to install them.  I sprayed them with the matching vinyl paint you can buy and they look close enough to factory.   The hardest part is drilling the seat frame where you have to connect the rails.  It takes a very sharp drill.

Sirasila

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011, 16:21:36 »
I had my headrests removed when I redid the interior recently. Mine is also a 64 230SL, but had headrests installed about 25 years ago.  If you want them I'll be happy to sell them to you.  They are in perfect shape, dark blue leather.  I'm in Thailand though so we'll have to look at the shipping cost as well.

Wolfmann

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011, 22:12:44 »
Excellent, would that include the tube mountings as well ? Please send me an email with a shipping estimate... Thanks !

Stevenpidcock@aol.com

Ulf

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Denmark, Fredericksberg, Rungsted Kyst
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 06:52:32 »
After a serious whiplash in my Spitfire back in the mid-90'es I rarely drive without head restraints even if they are not completely original in my 65' 230 SL (they were retrofitted in the early 80's by the P.O.). I really like the look of the car without them, but after months spent at the physiotherapist/chiropractor and occasional neck pains on cold days more than 15 years after, driving without them is not an option for me
1965 230 SL in silver (DB180)
1982 Land Rover Series III SWB
2008 Jaguar XF 3.0
2005 Mini Cooper