W113 Pagoda SL Group > Drive train, fuel, suspension, steering & brakes

230SL - temporary swap to a 250SE

(1/1)

john collins:
I have a 1965 230Sl that requires head rebuilding.  I have an opportunity to get a complete and running 250SE engine and transmission for reasonable money.  I am considering a temporary swap while I rebuild the full long block of my original 230SL (instead of just the head).   How seamless is it to swap these setups?  What specifically does not match up and would require fiddling?

ja17:
Not that big a deal as long as both are automatics or standard transmissions. You will have to change the aluminum engine supports at the motor mounts since the SLs are different and the sedan engine will sit to high if you leave the sedan supports on.  There also may be some minor plumbing issues.

john collins:
Thank you Joe,
I am able to buy this 250SE with manual transmission for $1,200 - all inclusive (fuel injection, distributor, starter, intake and exhaust - basically everything except the radiator) so I may make the swap so that I can drive the car this summer and take my time and rebuild the existing 230SL motor and head instead of getting an exchange.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version