W113 Pagoda SL Group > Drive train, fuel, suspension, steering & brakes

sludge in oil injection pump (230 SL)

(1/1)

rosch:
Hi Pagoda drivers !
After rebuilding my 230 SL I experience  white sludge deposit in the oil reservoir of the  fuel injection pump.
I cleaned it out last year completely but before starting to drive the car this spring I checked everything again.
It is not visible on the oil level dipstick , It rest on the bottom ,thus "heavier"than oil . Could it be caused by coolant/water  or condensation ,??
The thermostat housing does not to seem leaking on the flange.
I am driving the car just a couple of times a year.

Anyone experienced this or has some helpfull hints ??

Thanks in advance !!.
Greetz from Holland

ja17:
Hello Greetz,

This grey or white sludge is usually from moisture. It can be just condensation, but if it keeps coming back you may want to check the WRD to make sure it is not seeping a little coolant. Should be an easy fix as long as the engine oil is not having the same issue.

Since the car is not driven much it could be just condensation.

Joe

rosch:
Thanks Joe for your comment.

I guess my intuition was right : oil mixed with moisture / condensation with the oil on top and the moisture mix at the bottom of the reservoir.

Drained the engine oil  today and it looks "clear" ,so no (white ) sludge in there.
Just can't understand why the FI pump is sensitive for moisture / condensation build-up in the oil reservoir.
Removed the FI pump  from the engine as well ,for cleaning and oil change.

Question : is there an easy way to change the oil ,without removing the FI pump ?

Tips are appreciated !

J. Huber:
Hi Rosch. It can be done without removing IP pump. You need to siphon or suck it out though -- I believe I used was a spray bottle assembly to pump it out. Somewhere here its been discussed. Its not easy really but very rewarding when you know the muck is out and new oil is in.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version