Author Topic: Body and paint number plate  (Read 25533 times)

CraigS

Re: Body and paint number plate
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2008, 23:31:25 »
quote:
Originally posted by Bob G
I would like to now if  anyone has got this vendor to replace the plates  that tells the paint codes on the left inner fender.

Bob Geco
1968 280SL

Bob. I have made this plate and will post a photo of it in the nexr day or so.
Craig

Mark280SL

• Inactive
  • Senior
  • USA, PA, New Hope
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2008, 14:38:26 »
Craig,

Is the plate you refer to the one under the hood on the left fender that has the numbers stamped from the back side in an embossed fashion? I remember you indicating previously you were not able to do them but reading this made me think (maybe wishful thinking) you might have since come up with a way to do it Or were you referring to the one from the early models that did not have the numbers stamped from behind?

Just wanted to be sure.... I would love to find a way to do it myself or find someone that can do it for me. My plate is missing and I'd like to get one to replace what was once there from my later model 280 SL.

quote:
Bob. I have made this plate and will post a photo of it in the nexr day or so.
Craig

« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 14:47:25 by Mark280SL »
Mark

CraigS

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2008, 15:10:26 »
Mark. Unfortunately, we have still not come up with a way to produce the raised letters. I will be going to Germany at the end of June to discuss this amongst a few other things. Will let you know if we come up with a solution.

I have attached a copy of the karosserie plate

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2008, 12:34:22 »
So I sprung for a new data plate for my firewall from Craig. I am pleased -- it really freshens up that area of my engine bay! Looks like the real thing. Not a bad wait either. I'll make this the place to say Thanks Craig.

James
63 230SL

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2008, 17:18:52 »
quote:
Originally posted by CraigS

Mark. Unfortunately, we have still not come up with a way to produce the raised letters. I will be going to Germany at the end of June to discuss this amongst a few other things. Will let you know if we come up with a solution.

Hey Craig,
Any luck on recreating the raised letters on the VIN plate of a 230sl?

Waqas (Wa-kaas) in Austin, Texas

CraigS

« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2008, 19:04:14 »
I will be talking to them over the next week or so, so should have some news soon.

Craig

CraigS

« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2008, 23:59:07 »
Sorry to bring this topic up after so long, but I have been working steadily on the raised lettering "problem". I am almost there, and have attached some images of an options plate with raised lettering. This is from my own 450 SEL 6.9, and this plate is now a template for further options plates. There is still some work to do, such as the corners of the plate need to be cut at 45 degrees to replicate the original.

The chassis plates represent a bigger logistical problem, as the plates need to be produced in Germany (with lettering but without the raised numbering) then sent to Australia for the raised stamping, so really bit of a nightmare, but perfection will eventually win out ! What all of this means is that they are going to be somewhat more expensive than the current style of chassis plates.

The next step is to have some chassis plates made and sent to Australia for the stamping. I hope to have this completed by Christmas and some images available.

Raw metal plate

Reverse

With a coat of paint

WIth and without paint

Mark280SL

• Inactive
  • Senior
  • USA, PA, New Hope
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2008, 19:40:11 »
Glad you are still going forward on this Craig, When you are ready to make some for sale email me off line and I will be happy to purchase one. I contacted several vendors trying to get one made but all that had even some interest wanted to do large runs and did not want to bother with one or two plates. I found someone who would make me the proper stamps to do it myself but I simply don't have the time and maybe not the skill/patience to do it to the level of quality I want to end up with so I have done without so far. Keep us posted and thanks for your efforts!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 19:44:51 by Mark280SL »
Mark

hands_aus

• Platinum
  • Australia, Queensland, Brisbane
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2008, 03:09:21 »
Hey Craig,
My early 250SL DATA PLATE shows the numbers are JUSTIFIED to both the left and right.
Is it possible that MB used different standards on different models?

early 250SL data plate
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 08:26:53 by vanesp »
Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL #114, auto, ps , 717,717
best of the best

CraigS

« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2008, 03:33:56 »

Absolutely ! Nothing they ever did was standard between models. The only constant appears to be that they used the 4 lines, and that is the part I am most concerned about. As long as they use the 4 lines, I can adjust the alignment accordingly.

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2008, 00:34:20 »
Hey Craig, great work on the raised lettering!

The only [minor] point I'll make is that it appears that the font is slightly different when you compare your 450sel sample and the pagoda. In particular, look at numbers "2"-"6", "9". The original pagoda's seem more rounded, whilst your sample looks more angular.

It could be that MB changed the font between the sixties and the seventies models.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 00:35:06 by waqas »

CraigS

« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2008, 00:38:16 »

No, you're right. There are changes to the fonts and some numbers are different. The 3 for example is also different, but this is the only font that is available for this process, without buying a range of fonts - which would not be recovered but the number of potential sales, so unfortunately a generic font is all that is going to be available.

Craig

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2008, 11:51:34 »
Craig,
You're right, that makes sense. Given the sad condition of my plates, I'm in no position to reject the font.

On the other hand, it might be a good idea to keep an eye on the other font's availability, as your target market will open up to all the top restorers if you can get the perfect reproduction.

Looking forward to the finished product!

CraigS

« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2008, 12:04:39 »
quote:
Originally posted by waqas

Craig,
You're right, that makes sense. Given the sad condition of my plates, I'm in no position to reject the font.

On the other hand, it might be a good idea to keep an eye on the other font's availability, as your target market will open up to all the top restorers if you can get the perfect reproduction.

Looking forward to the finished product!

Waqas. I understand the need for perfection - that is how I got involved in this in the first place as I could not find the correct plate for my 300b, but I think there comes a point where the costs will exceed the price that people are willing to pay - even for a pefect reproduction. I need to be mindful of the potential market and the possibility that Daimler could be within their rights to close me down, even though they are not producing these plates any longer. I believe they are aware that I am doing them, and have not made any move in that direction, but it is a possibility. Having said that, it is my ultimate goal to be able to find the correct fonts, but I have a feeling that these are proprietary Mercedes, which may require a licence to buy them. I know that is the case for their printing fonts, but the correct stamping fonts may not even exist.

Mark280SL

• Inactive
  • Senior
  • USA, PA, New Hope
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2009, 01:55:04 »
Craig,

If you are still out there...... Were you ever able to reproduce the data plate for sale? (reverse stamped plate) I was searching the forums but could not determine if you were ever able to do it. I never had any success and I'm still looking for one.

Mark

« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 10:17:22 by 280SL71 »
Mark

Louis

« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2011, 14:10:36 »
I wonder if any further progress occurred?  Anyone know anything ?

CraigS

« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2011, 08:20:08 »
Been a long time coming I know and the last 12 months has been somewhat more hectic than anticipated. However, I will get back on this project. The only problem I can forsee is for those that are missing their plates, there is no way to know what numbers were on the plate. You cannot work this out from the data card. All you could do it to duplicate a plate from someone else's car and add some of the unique details for each vehicle, such as the paint code etc.

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2011, 14:05:24 »
I do NOT have the firewall plate, nor the plate (if appropriate; I have not heard definitive answers) that is on the driver's door frame (body, not door) for my January 1969 production 280 SL.  I do have the plate that is on the left side inner fender with the paint code and VIN.  I also have a VIN plate, apparently original, sticking out of the windshield frame.

If reasonable facsimiles are produced--reasonable in price and look--I'm certainly interested, and I suspect others are too.

It would be helpful if those with unrestored original cars could help target the plates by location via photos, and by content via accurate and detailed photos.

(Oh, my world for accurate and detailed photos...many of you know what I mean by that, too!  :()
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid