Author Topic: How to ge thehood out  (Read 4955 times)

GGR

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, DC, Washington
How to ge thehood out
« on: January 17, 2011, 00:02:52 »
Looks like I will have to replace the water pump as it is leaking.

I work alone. Is there a technique to remove the hood alone without chiping paind or other disaster?

Also, can I replace the water pump without removing the radiator?

Thanks!

Atazman

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • USA, Ca, Pleasanton
Re: How to ge the hood out
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 02:00:41 »
I'm doing the same thing right now.

I hooked a strap to the driver side of the hood from a rafter.  Then, I packed old towles around the hood where it tucks down inside in front of the radiator.  Then, I hooked the spring hook into the retaining strap on the hood.  I removed the two bolts on the driver side (same side as the strap from the rafters), and made sure the hood did not move with the bolts removed.  Then, I moved to the passenger side, supported the hood with my right hand and shoulder, and removed the two bolts with my left hand.

It worked OK, but I will try to get a 2nd set of hands to re-install the hood.

As far as removing the water pump with the radiator in place.  Yes.... I was able to.  My new pump is supposed to arrive in two days, so am anxious to get the car on the road again.
Don
67 250 Sl
(#3168) from Italy
5-speed/Posi/AC/Kinder

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
Re: How to ge thehood out
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 02:14:20 »
Another point - when I had the radiator recored and the FI pump rebuilt, when we pulled the hood (two pairs of hands does make the job easier) we made sure to mark where the hood hinge was set on the hood. I used blue 3M tape to mark where the hood hinges aligned, this makes putting it back much easier. We only removed the hinge from one side, and then just tilted the hood out and up. We use a "S" hook to hold the tensioner rod, and you do need to be careful with that. There should be a number of posts on the subject, so you can use the search function to find out more detailed information.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

RayG

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 02:24:46 »
I used a similar technique to atazman when I did my water pump 3 years ago. I had the radiator out anyway and my water pump was not bad , but I thought as long as I have easy access, take the opportunity. To protect the hood and the surrounding  body sheet metal. I curt 6 inch strips of cardboard, folded and taped them to the body surround  with masking tape , the blue kind. I folded each strip so that both the top and the side of the opening were cushioned and  protected  by the cardboard. I tied the hood spring with a coat hanger to the hood to relieve the tension. It worked well both for the removal and re-installation of the hood. You can adjust the thickness of the cardboard to the gap of your hood by multi layering the cardboard. Good luck.

RayG

GGR

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, DC, Washington
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 12:05:56 »
Thanks all. Wlill try and report.

Whe I was a kid I thought that having the hood opening nose down on sports cars was kind of cool. Now I wish it opened like on any other car.

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 13:46:00 »
Hello,

Most of us use masking take near the hinge  pivots on the body and the hood opening so the paint is not damaged. There is a hole in the side of the hood for a "S" hook to hold the tensioning rod. You must secure the tensioning rod before you remove the hood. Slip the s hook in the hole and pull the rod up and attach it to the hook. Once the tensioning rod is secure, remove two 10mm bolts on one side of the hood lower the hood almost all the way and simply slide the hood off the other hinge. Yes two sets of hands is almost a must to prevent paint damage. Prepare a safe place to store the hood while it is off before you begin.
If you have factory AC on the car changing the water pump will be a big job!
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

GGR

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, DC, Washington
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 13:55:21 »
Thanks!

I will try to get some help the day hen I remove the hood..

If you have factory AC on the car changing the water pump will be a big job!

Yes I do have factory A/C. I'm scared now. What's the story?

Leester

• Silver
  • USA, VA, Lorton
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 21:48:42 »
Removing radiator isn't that big a job - I suppose with ac you have the condenser even after you remove the radiator, but taking radiator out I think would give you enough working room to make the effort worth it. also - pm sent
Lee Backus
1963 220SE Cabriolet
1970 280SL (reassembling - hopefully soon)
1978 450SL (disassembled for paint)
1985 500SEC

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 01:18:27 »
Hello,

If you have the original factory AC compressor and bracket, it is very complex and has many attachment points on the engine. Many of these attachment points can become leaks if not re-assembled correctly. The hood and radiator must be removed for the procedure. The condensor is removed with the radiator.

The Mercedes book time to change a water pump on a W113 is 2.2 hrs. and add 1.5 hours for air conditioning. Of coarse these times are only accurate when the cars were new, with factory trained technician, with years of experience, with all the special tools and in ideal working conditions. For the first time hobbyist,  plan on taking about 8 to 12 hours!
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback